Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Advisement and Transfer

FSU HomeAdvisementStudent SuccessAcademic Success FAQ

Academic Success FAQ

  • How will I know if I’m in academic difficulty?
    Students who earn a GPA of less than a 2.0 for any semester will be placed on “Academic Warning”. Academic actions can be found in your electronic transcript at the end of each grading period.
  • Who should I talk to about improving my academic status?
    Students should discuss strategies for improving their GPA with their academic advisor. If you do not know who your advisor is; stop by the Advisement & Career Services Center for more information.
  • What is the minimum GPA to declare a major?
    In most departments the minimum GPA is 2.0; in the School of Education the minimum GPA is 2.5.
  • Where do I go for advisement if my GPA is below 2.0 and I can not declare a major?
    The Transfer and Advisement Center.
  • Where can I find out about tutoring for one of my classes?
    The instructor or the department chair of the class may be able to provide you with information on tutoring for the class. Students may also find academic support in the Math Lab (located Helen T. Chick, 216-C) or the Reading & Writing Labs (located Helen T. Chick, 216-C) for some classes.
  • Is there a quiet place on campus for my study group to meet periodically?
    The Lab in Career Services is usually available in SBE 230. Check with the receptionist at 672-1205 for more details.
  • I have a registration hold on my account, where can I go to find out more about the hold?
    An advisor in Transfer & Advisement Center can assist you in identifying who actually placed the hold on your account.  Only the person/dept. who placed the hold can remove or revise it.
  • How can I reach an advisor in the Transfer and Advisement Center?
    You may call (910) 672-2286.
  • Where can I find a GPA calculator?
    On Registrar's Office website
  • I have 90 earned hours; how can I find out how close I am to completing my degree?
    You can request an official audit from the registrar’s office by going to: and click on Undergraduate Graduation Audit complete the form and click submit. For more information contact the Transfer & Advisement Center at 910-672-2286.
  • How do I apply for graduation?
    You may apply for graduation after you have ninety (90) earned credits. The graduation application fee is $50. You can pick up an application for graduation from your department chair, the Registrar's website, or in the Transfer and Advisement Center.
  • If I repeat a course, will it be counted twice towards my degree completion?
    No, repeats without penalty can only be counted one time towards degree completion.
  • I have been out of school for a while, how does Academic Fresh Start work?
    You must have at least two years or 4 semesters of non-enrollment at FSU. Under the “Fresh Start” policy, all credits earned at Fayetteville State University prior to the date of enrollment will be treated as transfer credits; courses with a grade of “C” or higher will be used to fulfill degree requirements. Academic Fresh Start does not eliminate attempted hours from a student’s record, and hence, hours covered by academic fresh start will be used in determining whether a student must pay the tuition surcharge.

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina