Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Advisement and Transfer

FSU HomeAdvisementStudent SuccessSophomore FAQ

Sophomore FAQ

  • Where should I go to find out who my advisor is?
    Students who have not declared a major should contact an academic advisor in the Transfer & Advisement Center. Students who have declared a major should contact the Department Chair in the department in which he/she has declared.
  • I only have a 2.0 GPA and am starting my Junior Year. Can I get into the School of Education or School of Business and Economics?
    The minimum requirement is 2.50 for admission to business or education majors. Although you can keep taking courses until you get your GPA up, you should calculate how long that would take and make an informed decision about whether to apply to this major or select another one.
  • What is the maximum number of hours in which I may enroll each semester?
    The maximum number of credit hours permitted in a semester is 18, if you are not in academic difficulty. Students on probation may not enroll in more than 13 credit hours, while students with cumulative GPAs of 3.0 or higher are permitted to enroll in a maximum of 21 hours.
  • How can I enroll in closed classes?
    During the designated registration time, a student may get permission from the instructor to enroll in a closed class.
  • Can I take courses at another school and transfer the credits to FSU?
    Students who have earned 60 or more credit hours and submit a request in writing to the department chair may be permitted to take courses at another school. In order for course credits to be accepted, you must earn a grade of 2.0 or higher. Transfer grades will not be used in the computation of your cumulative GPA.
  • When should I declare a major?
    First-time freshmen are required to complete the on-line Declaration of Major form during the second semester of their freshman year. Transfer students must declare a major in the first semester of their enrollment.
  • How can I declare a major?
    To declare a major you must complete the on-line Declaration of Major form found on FSU’s homepage, Click on the link for Current Students then Declare/Change Major (under Administrative Services) and follow the simple directions for completing the form.
  • How do I clear an “I” grade from my transcript?
    You must seek assistance from the instructor who gave you the “I” grade before the end of the first nine weeks of the next regular semester.
  • What does it mean to repeat a course without penalty?
    You may repeat up to five courses, once each, and only the higher grade will be calculated into your GPA. However, you must complete a “course repeat” from signed by your advisor and submitted to the Registrar’s Office in order to start this process.

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina