Minor in Dance in the Performing and Fine Arts department.
Open to any student enrolled at FSU course offerings are he Dance Minor is a practical choice for any student pursuing a future in the arts or entertainment industry as well as other budding creative and innovative fields such as fitness and medical sciences. The Dance Minor relates directly to the primary mission of Fayetteville State University, which is to "provide quality education to its students", [and] "specialized individual training". A small concentrated program, the dance courses have been developed to work with the novice dance enthusiast as well as the seasoned dancer looking to continue his or her training.
The approach to the curriculum involves the integration of the developing mind and the body in context of educational and cultural practices. This curriculum requires critical and creative thinking as well as deliberate movement training in addition to exploring concepts in dance that relate to human development, culture and society as a whole. The dance curriculum seeks to provide undergraduate majors who are interested in acquiring knowledge of creative, artistic and liberal arts based skills sought by prospective employers who are looking for an innovative, collaborative, and self-motivated workforce.
The FSU Dance Ensemble is an educational repertory dance company representing the FSU Performing and Fine Arts department. The company performs on and off campus. With solid, consistent training in Horton modern dance technique in addition to jazz and African dance styles, the FSUDE believes that dance is a discipline as well as an art form. Students are required to take at least one dance class to be eligible for the ensemble, and auditions are held in the fall, with performances in the spring.
Since its inception in 2010, FSUDE has performed
- North Carolina School of Science and Math (Durham)
- NC State University (Raleigh)
- NC Central University (Durham)
- NC Museum of History (Raleigh)
- St. Paul's High and Middle School (St. Paul, NC)
- Pine Forest High School, Fayetteville
- VA Hospital
- Prime Time
- Turlington High School, Raeford, NC
- Ballet Classics with NC State Ballet, Crown Auditorium
- Fayetteville State University Dance Ensemble (FSUDE) a touring dance company representing the PFA department. "An Evening of Dance" March 2013, FSU's first dance concert by FSUDE and student dance minors.
- In October of 2013, FSUDE hosted "Dancing in the Spirit", a two day dance festival, and performed with dancers from NC State University Panoramic Dance Project and University of North Carolina Greensboro under the direction of Artistic Director Duane Cyrus from Cyrus Art Productions.
- In March 2014, "Ballet Classics" springs to life at Fayetteville State University's Seabrook Auditorium and Methodist University's Reeves Auditorium. "Ballet Classics," danced by the North Carolina State Ballet and the Fayetteville State Dance Ensemble.
- In April 2014, members of FSUDE traveled with North Carolina Central University's Modern Dance troupe to the 33rd Annual Black College Dance Exchange conference at Norfolk State University.