B.F.A in Theatre Arts from Western Carolina University 1989. BFA Thesis: Bunny Flingus in John Guare's House of Blue Leaves.
M. F. A. in Acting from the University of Louisville, KY, 1997. MFA Thesis: Shifting the Axis: Positives vs. Negatives as Martha in Edward Albee's "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?"
Director of Theatre from 2004-2011 and professional actress for over 26 years, Ms. Hall brings with her a love of theatre arts and a dedication to quality performances. Former jobs include speech writer and campaign manager (twice) for NC State Senate Candidate, stage manager for various theatres, over 125 roles on stage, director of more than 40 shows, performances in regional television commercials, and more than 15 years of teaching experience in Speech, Theatre, Acting, Directing, Stage Movement, Creative Dramatics, and Voice and Diction. She divides her time between teaching, performing, and active community service with the Fayetteville Arts Council, and offers workshops as well as private lessons in acting, voice and diction, audition techniques as well as offering area schools various workshops in general theatre.
- Voice and Diction
- Introduction to Speech
- Fundamentals of Acting
- Advanced Acting
- Costume and Makeup
- Performance Laboratory
- Children’s Theatre for School and Community
- Oral Interpretation
- Introduction to Theatre
- Acting for the Camera
- Appreciation of the Arts
- Speech & Theatre Activities
- History of Theatre I and II
- Script Analysis
- Acting for the Media
Research and Interests
Anything theatrical! Acting theories. Period costumes, acting, styles, genres. Theatre games. Children's theatre. Stage Movement. Make-up techniques. Vocal exercises. Musical theatre.
- In-house study guides for all children's theatre productions 2000-current.
- Original scripts for the FSU's APO Touring Company: Dueling Shakespeare; The Living Slave Narratives;
- Stage adaptation of Every Man Heart Lay Down by Lorenzo Graham.
- Stage adaptation of Moliere's Tartuffe.
- Children's play: Anansi and Friends Around the World! (produced February 2009); Anansi and Friends: The Joke's on YOU (produced February 2007)
Ms. Phoebe Hall
Associate Professor of Speech and Theatre
Director of Theatre
Office: Butler Building, Room 139
FSU Theatre Company
- 2007-08 Outstanding Service Award
- 2006-07 Outstanding Service Award
- 2006-7 Performing and Fine Arts Teacher of the Year
- 2006-2007 College of Humanities and Social Sciences Teacher of the Year
- 2005-06 Performing and Fine Arts Teacher of the Year
- 2004-05 CAS Pioneer Award
- 2003-04 Outstanding Service to the Community Award
- 2003-04 Outstanding Service to the University Award