The Fayetteville State University Concert Choir's history extends back to 1883. Records show that vocal music and music theory were incorporated into the curriculum as early as 1883. During the 1930's there existed the Mozart Club, The Girl's Glee Club, the Men's Glee Club, and the Jubilee Singers. In 1944, Mr. George Van Hoy joined the Music Faculty as Choir Director. A graduate of Hampton Institute, he was a pupil of the renown African-American composer, Dr. R. Nathaniel Dett. In 1947, the Choir made a radio broadcast from station WPTF in Raleigh and also sang for the first time at the Fayetteville Kiwanis Club. This choir was honored to be the first choral group to sing a Sunday morning service at Hampton Institute in Ogden Hall, a service reserved only for the Hampton Choir. They were also the first choir invited to sing for a broadcast of the Interracial Commission on WPTF in Raleigh. Within the choir were four ensembles: large mixed group, female ensemble, male ensemble, and the female chorus. The Choir made its first recording under Mr. Collins. In 1950, Mary E. Terry (later Marry T. Eldridge) became Choral Director. A graduate of Oberlin College, she received her MFA from Carnegie Institute of Technology and did additional work at the Pittsburgh Musical Institute, University of Pittsburgh, University of North Carolina, University of California at Berkeley, and Atlanta University. Under her leadership, the Choir's reputation grew. Mrs. Eldridge composed the Alma Mater, Old White and Blue, for Fayetteville State. Since 1996, the Choir has performed in nationally and internationally including concerts in Paris, Belgium, Vancouver, British Columbia, a gala concert at Constitution Hall in Washington, DC, and on regional television. The University Choir performs for major university events, churches, and civic functions and has produced three compact discs. The Choir's repertoire consists of anthems, spirituals, gospels and major choral works accompanied with orchestra. Membership is open to all majors through audition.
Building: Rosenthal Building