Professor of Biochemistry
Office: LSA 336
Phone: (910) 672-2073
I am a biochemist/molecular biologist with expertise in reproductive biology and mammalian fertilization. My current research interests are:
1. The role of the sperm acrosome in fertilization: This research is focused on identifying the mechanisms regulating the release of acrosomal hydrolases during the egg-induced acrosome reaction.
2. Signal transduction pathways regulating sperm functions: Identification and characterization of domain-specific cell signaling pathways in the sperm that function in the regulation of sperm motility.
3. To elucidate the role of the epididymis in maintaining sperm viability: Demonstration of a novel process in the epididymis to identify and to eliminate defective spermatozoa.
Calcutta University, Calcutta, India Chemistry BS-1978
Calcutta University, Calcutta, India Biochemistry MS-1980
Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India Biochemistry PhD-1987
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI Research Associate 1987 1989
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN Research Associate 1990 1993
August 2014-Present: Professor, Department of Chemistry and Physics,Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville, NC
August 2010-July 2014: Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry and Physics, Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville, NC
August, 2005-July, 2010: Assistant Professor, Department of Natural Science, Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville, NC
1999-2005: Research Assistant Professor, Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Nashville, TN
1993-1999: Research Instructor, Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- Subir K Nagdas, Teresa Buchanan, Shaina McCaskill, Jared Mackey, George E Alvarez, and Samir Raychoudhury. Isolation of a calcium-binding protein of the acrosomal membrane of bovine spermatozoa. The International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology 45 (2013) 876- 884.
- Identification of acrosomal matrix-specific hydrolases binding proteins of bovine cauda epididymal spermatozoa. Subir K Nagdas, Shatasha Hamilton, and Samirsubas Raychoudhury. Journal of Andrology 31, 177-187, 2010.
- Olson, G.E., Winfrey, V.P., NagDas, S.K., Hill, K.E., and Burk, R.F. Apolipoprotein E receptor 2 mediates selenium uptake from Selenoprotein P by the mouse testis. J.Biol.Chem, April 20, 282 (16), 12290-12297, 2007.
- Subir K. Nagdas, Virginia P. Winfrey, and Gary E. Olson. Identification of hamster sperm 26kDa dehdrogenase/reductase that is exclusively present in the mitochondria of the flagellum. Biol. Reprod. 75, 197-202, 2006.
- Michael H. Melner, Arthur L. Haas, Jennifer M. Klein, Alan R. Brash, William E. Boeglin, Subir K. NagDas, Virginia P. Winfrey and Gary E. Olson. Demonstration of ubiquitin thiolester formation of UBE2Q2 (UBCi), a novel ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme with implantation site-specific expression. , 2006, Biol. Reprod. 75, 395-406, 2006.
- Gary E. Olson , Virginia P. Winfrey, Subir K. NagDas, Kristina E. Hill and Raymond F. Burk. Selenoprotein P is required for mouse sperm development. Biol. Reprod. 73, 201-11, 2005.
- Subir K. NagDas, Virginia P. Winfrey and Gary E. Olson. Tyrosine phosphorylation generates multiple isoforms of the mitochondrial capsule protein, phospholipid hydroperoxide glutathione peroxidase (PHGPx), during hamster sperm capacitation. Biol. Reprod, 72, 164-171, 2005.
- Gary E. Olson, Virginia P. Winfrey, Ming Bi, Daniel M. Hardy and Subir K. NagDas. Assembly of Zonadhesin into the hamster sperm acrosomal matrix involves distinct targeting strategies during spermiogenesis and maturation in the epididymis. Biol. Reprod. 71, 1128-1134, 2004.
- Gary E. Olson, Virginia P. Winfrey, Subir K. NagDas and Michael H. Melner. Region specific expression and secretion of the fibrinogen-related protein, fgl2, by epithelial cells of the hamster epididymis and its role in disposal of defective spermatozoa. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 51266-51274, 2004 .
- Gary E. Olson, Virginia P. Winfrey and Subir K. NagDas. Structural modification of the hamster sperm acrosome during post-testicular development in the epididymis. Microscopy Research Techniques 61, 46-55, 2003.
- Subir K. NagDas, Virginia P. Winfrey and Gary E. Olson. Identification of Ras and its downstream signaling elements and their potential role in hamster sperm motility. Biol. Reprod. 67, 1058-1066, 2002.
- Subir K. NagDas, Virginia P. Winfrey and Gary E. Olson, Identification of a region specific epididymal secretory glycoprotein which specifically binds nonviable luminal spermatozoa. Biol. Reprod. 63, 1428-1436, 2000.
- Gary E. Olson, Virginia P. Winfrey and Subir K. NagDas. Acrosome biogenesis in the hamster: ultrastructurally distinct matrix regions are assembled from a common precursor polypeptide. Biol. Reprod. 58, 361 370, 1998.
- Gary E. Olson, Virginia P. Winfrey, John C. Neff, Thomas J. Lukas and Subir K. NagDas. A related polypeptide family is a major structural constituent of a stable acrosomal matrix assembly in bovine spermatozoa. Biol. Reprod. 57, 325 334, 1997.
- Gary E. Olson, Subir K. NagDas and Virginia P. Winfrey Temporal expression and localization of protein farnesyltransferase during spermiogenesis and post testicular sperm maturation in the hamster. Molecular Reproduction and Development, 48, 71 76, 1997.
- Subir K. NagDas, Virginia P. Winfrey and Gary E. Olson. Proacrosin acrosomal matrix binding interactions in ejaculated bovine spermatozoa. Biol. Reprod., 54, 111 121, 1996.
- Subir K. NagDas, Virginia P. Winfrey and Gary E. Olson. Identification of hydrolase binding activities of the acrosomal matrix of hamster spermatozoa. Biol. Reprod., 55, 1405 1414, 1996.
- S.K. NagDas, M.D. Skudlarek, M. C. Orgebin Crist, and D.R.P. Tulsiani, Biochemical alterations in the proaocrosin acrosin system during epididymal maturation of the rat spermatozoa. J. Androl. 13, 36 43, 1992.
- Orgebin Crist, M. C., NagDas, S.K., and Tulsiani, D.R.P. Modifications of putative sperm binding proteins for the zona pellucida during sperm maturation. International Symposium on Cell and Molecular Biology of the Testis, Ares Serono Symposia Publications, Majorea, Spain, 1994. Frontiers in Endocrinology, (Dufau, M.L., Fabbri, A. and Isidori, A. eds.) Vol.5, pp 211 216
- Gary E. Olson, Subir K. NagDas and Virginia P. Winfrey. Structural differentiation of spermatozoa during post-testicular maturation. The Epididymis (Robaire, B. and Hinton, B. eds.) Plenum Publishing Company, 2001.
TOTAL ABSTRACTS PRESENTED IN THE NATIONAL MEETINGS: 24
The manuscript, published in J. Androl. 13, 36 43, 1992, was selected the second best published paper by the American Association of Andrology among the papers published in the Journal of Andrology, in the year 1992.
1. Benedict College,Columbia, SC- Visiting Scientist Seminar Series-October, 2006
2. East Carolina University, NC- The Brody School Of Medicine-Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology- Spring 2012 Seminar Series-March, 2012
ONGOING FUNDED GRANT
Funding Agency: National Institute of Health-SCORE3- 8/1/2011-7/31/2015
Title of Grant: The Role of Mammalian Sperm Acrosome in Fertilization
a. Research Mentor:
Graduate Students -3; Undergraduate Students -17; High School Student -1
b. Professional Services:
1. Judged for the poster presentations and Served Reviewer for the Conference Abstract,
(Biochemistry), Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students: Anaheim, CA 2006; Austin, TX 2007; Orlando, FL. 2008; Phoenix, AZ. 2009; Charlotte, NC 2010; St. Louis, MO 2011; San Jose, CA 2012
2. Review panelist for the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program (NSF GREP)-2007