Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Enrollment Services Center

FSU HomeESCFrequently Asked QuestionsAdult Learner FAQ

Adult Learner Frequently Asked Questions

Your Opinion Matters - Take Our Survey Button

Adult Student Learner Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions and answers that an adult student learner may find helpful during their transition to Fayetteville State University.

1. Who does Fayetteville State University consider an adult learner/nontraditional student?

At FSU, adult learner/nontraditional students are defined as lifelong learners who generally are 25 years or older, and/or have additional responsibilities such as family, career, military, or community, and are seeking a degree or other educational offering (credit or non-credit) to enhance their professional and/or personal lives. If you fall into one of the following categories, you are considered an adult learner/nontraditional student:


2. How do I enroll at Fayetteville State University as an adult learner?

The first step to enrolling at FSU is to apply for admission. The admissions process is the same for adult student learners as it is for other new students. Many adult learners are first-time college students, some may be transferring from another institution, and others may be seeking an additional degree such as a second bachelor's or master's degree. Click here to apply for admission online. Admissions staff can assist you with any additional steps that may be necessary to complete your application file such as the submission of transcripts, test scores, etc. Please view the Office of Admissions home page for more Information.

3. How can I afford Fayetteville State University?

The Office of Financial Aid will assist you with estimating your financial aid eligibility. In addition, you are encouraged to review the Scholarship Opportunities page for a variety of scholarships for which you may qualify. 

To help determine your eligibility for various sources of financial aid, you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1, the preferential filing date, or as soon as possible. For more information contact the Office of Financial Aid by phone at (910) 672-1325, via email at or visit their website.

4. Does FSU offer accelerated or on-line degree programs?

There are online degree programs offered through the Office of Online Education. For more information, go to the Office of Online Education webpage. Currently, FSU only offers a Teacher Education Accelerated Summer Program.


5. Does FSU offer evening and/or weekend degree completion programs?

Fayetteville State University does not offer evening and/or weekend degree completion programs at this time. FSU offers day, evening and weekend classes. Please visit the class schedule link in banner for further details and class availability.

6. Does FSU provide life experience/ work credit?

Here at Fayetteville State University, academic credit is not given for life or work experience.

7. Will I feel out of place in college as a returning adult student?

Not at all! More than 49% of our total enrollment is made up of Adult learner/Nontraditional students. That's why our programs are tailored to meet the needs of adult students, with small class sizes, approachable faculty and a comfortable study environment.

8. How can I get involved on campus?

There are several opportunities for campus involvement for adult student Learners.  Visit the Office of Student Activities page for further details.


9. Am I able to take one class or do I have to go full-time (12 hours)?

Taking one class is permitted. However, you must have 12 semester hours of credit to be considered a full-time student. Not being a full-time student most likely will impact your financial aid eligibility, campus housing opportunities, and various other "benefits" enjoyed by full-time FSU students. In addition, it goes without saying that enrolling in no more than 3 hours of semester credit (typically the credit earned for one class) per semester will delay your time to graduation.


10. How can I increase my chances of being a successful adult student learner?

First and foremost, you must be realistic about your schedule - work, family, school, etc. Traditionally, adult student learners have a multitude of responsibilities; school is only one of them. Take note of the following tips to increase your chances for academic success at FSU:



11. Why do I have to take the same classes as Freshman?

Generally here we tell them that all Universities require foundational education classes that help create well-rounded scholars and support the student in more specific learning objectives during later courses. These may or may not be areas where they have life experience. If they do have life experience, it can help them succeed and even help others who do not have any understanding of the subject.

12. Can I join a club?

Yes! Adult students are allowed to join all of the clubs at FSU. They can find out more on Bronco Advantage and at the club and organization fairs held each fall. For those living off campus the A.U.T.O.S. club is for commuters only, dues are $10 per year.

13. Is tutoring available?

From the Writing Center, Supplemental Instruction to the Evening Academic Support Center (all in the Chick building) there are several options for tutoring. Some tutoring is available online and over the phone as well. Students can always talk to their instructor about getting help during office hours.


14. When can I register for classes?

Registration is done by classification. Seniors that may need certain courses to graduate on time are allowed to register first, Juniors, Sophomores, and Freshman follow. Registration is done online in Banner self-service. For registration dates please refer to the Academic Calendar.

15. Where do I park?

The Police & Public Safety web page has campus maps which show parking areas and parking lots for students, faculty and staff. All eligible parking locations are designated by signs.


16. Does FSU offer extended office hours for students?

Yes, the Office of Financial Aid, Office of the Registrar, Student Accounts and Cashier's Office are open until 6:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays; counselors are available to assist you in-person and over the phone. Likewise, the Enrollment Services Center has counselors available by phone, and via chat. Other campus offices offer evening hours during peak times and by appointment only. Call the department or individual directly (campus directory) to get more information regarding evening hours or appointments.


17. Does FSU have a Commuter/Adult Student Learners Services office that I can call or visit for assistance?

Yes, the Commuter/Adult Student Learners Services office has services and information available that you will find useful during your transition to FSU. They also have a calendar available that lists important dates and deadlines.

18. What services are available for our Active Duty/Reserve Adult Learners?

FSU's Fort Bragg Center offers a number of services for all Fort Bragg Military personnel, their dependents, and citizens of the surrounding communities. Their "Focus" is to "Target & Achieve" the specific needs and requirements unique to our military. For Active Duty and Reserve Tuition Assistance FAQs,
click here.

19. What services are available for our Veteran Adult Student Learners?

FSU's Student Veteran Center is authorized to certify students who qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill, Active Duty/Selected Reserves and Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program, as well as those who qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and VA Vocational Rehabilitation.

Please view the Student Veteran Center website for additional information.

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina