FAFSA First Steps Pre-vU
One of the most important things you can do either before or at First Steps is to complete your FAFSA. The FAFSA is a free application for federal student aid. To fill out the FAFSA you will need the following:
- Your Social Security Number (as well as your parent's if you are a dependent student)
- Your driver's license number if you have one
- Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
- Federal tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information for you (and your spouse if married or your parents if you are a dependent student) (ie. IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ)
- Records of your untaxed income (child support, interest income, veterans non education benefits) for you (and your parents)
- Information on cash (savings and checking account balances, investments, ext.) for you (and your parents)
- School Code: 002928
This application provides many students with assistance in paying their FSU bill. Students are mandated to complete the FASFA. Students whose FASFA is not completed and sent to FSU when classes begin will have a hold placed on their account preventing them to register for any future courses.
At First Steps you and/or your family will have an opportunity to receive help completing the FAFSA (if you bring the documents listed above) with the Financial Aid staff and to have any questions answered. Because students and families will be separated for most of the day, we ask that
- Students accompanied by family members give all their documents listed above to the family at the beginning of the day. The family may be able to talk with Financial Aid before you complete your activities, saving you and them time.
- Students unaccompanied by family members bring the documents with you. You will go to Financial Aid at the end of the day.
The Financial Aid staff looks forward to assisting you at First Steps! If you have any questions before or after First Steps, please call us at the number below.