Chapter 35 - Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program
1. Complete VA paperwork
- Go to the VONAPP (Veterans ON-line APPlication) website and fill out the appropriate form (see below).
22-5490 - Use if you are applying for VA benefits for the first time
22-5495 - Use if you have used your benefits at another institution and would like to transfer to Fayetteville State University as your primary institution, if you have changed your program (degree or major), or if it has been over a year since last certification.
2. Print a copy of the completed VA paperwork.
- Once you fill out the online form and submit it to the VA, you will need to print a copy of the completed VA form and bring it to Fayetteville State University VA office so a copy is in your file.To verify you have successfully submitted your form to the VA, a confirmation number will appear on the bottom of each page of the form you print out and deliver to the VA office.
- Instructions to print a completed VA form on VONAPP (These step by step instructions are only for printing a completed form and are not intended to guide a student through the actual application process)
- Go the VONAPP website
- Click "Start VONAPP"
- Click "Continue" until you get to the login screen
- Log into the VONAPP system
- Under the "Completed Forms" section click the "Print" button next to the form you need to print. 6
- Forms should be faxed to the Student Veteran's Center, 910-484-1679, email to email@example.com, or contact our office at 910-672-1628.
3. Contact your VA advisor to discuss registration procedure and to complete the VA process.
4. Fayetteville State will certify enrollment to the VA.
- VA Certifying Official will submit an enrollment certification (22-1999) to the VA after your course(s) activate. The average VA processing time is 8-10 weeks.
5. VA will process certification & issue payment.
- Certification will be processed in a timely manner.
Note: The Government will only pay for courses that are relevant to the degree the student is enrolled in.
For more information on Chapter 35, click here.