Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Fort Bragg Center

FSU HomeFtbraggcampusStudent Veteran's CenterTuition Assistance

Active Duty & Reserve Tuition Assistance


Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit offered to service members to assist with the cost of tuition.  TA typically covers 100% of tuition, up to the $250 cap per credit hour. Our undergraduate tuition rate is reduced to $250 per credit hour and our graduate programs are discounted for military personnel, to bring the tuition down to the $250.00 credit hour cap.

For additional information on amounts covered by TA and who is eligible, according to branch of service, please go to the Military - Tuition Assistance Program web site.

GoArmyEd (FAQ)
What is the GoArmyEd Portal?
  • GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime for classroom, distance learning, and eArmyU online college courses. Information on other Army Continuing Education System (ACES) programs and services is also available on
  • GoArmyEd is a dynamic online portal that automates many of the paper-based processes you historically conducted with your Army Education Counselor.
  • GoArmyEd is your one-stop location for managing your college education and using Tuition Assistance benefits.
  • GoArmyEd is used by:
    • Soldiers to pursue their postsecondary educational goals
    • Army Education Counselors to provide educational guidance
    • Colleges to deliver degree and course offerings and to report Soldier progress

Return To Top

Has GoArmyEd replaced the face-to-face support that Soldiers received from Army Education Counselors and on-post school advisors?

No. Soldiers will still receive comprehensive support from a variety of sources when they use Tuition Assistance toward their approved degree plan. In addition to calling or visiting in-person a local Army Education Center, Soldiers have the following support options:

General Support.
  • Create a Helpdesk Case 24/7
  • Call the GoArmyEd Help Desk – 800-817-9990 
Hours of Operation
  • Monday thru Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 11 p.m. Eastern Time 
  • Saturday: Closed 
  • Sunday: 6:00 p.m. - 11 p.m. Eastern Time 

The helpdesk is equipped to help resolve most general questions related navigation of GoArmyEd and using all GoArmyEd features. If a question cannot be resolved immediately by the GoArmyEd helpdesk, a student support representative will document the question and escalate it to the specialist best positioned to resolve the issue. All questions can be first directed to the helpdesk for resolution or escalation.

  • Technical Support. If a question is technical in nature (e.g., a link is not working on GoArmyEd, an eArmyU Laptop Option Soldier has a hardware issue) it will be directed to a technical team for resolution.
  • Counseling. If a Soldier wishes to receive Counseling from an Army Education Counselor or has a question about Tuition Assistance policies it will be directed to the Soldier’s assigned geo-education center.
  • Questions for Soldier’s College. If a Soldier wishes to receive advising or administrative support from a college that has classes listed in the GoArmyEd portal, a case will be directed to the   college from which the Soldier needs support.
  • Library Services. Each Soldier has access to the library services provided by his or her home college which may include online journals and publications; research guides and databases; and online tutorials and information resources. The Army Library Program's worldwide network of academic, research, technical, general, and special libraries provides the Army community access to a selected group of Web resources via the Digital Army Library Service. The virtual reference desk, research tools, reading room for professional military education, databases, and links to Web-based library catalogs are accessible 24/7. The Web address is:

Return To Top

What if Soldiers encounter technical problems with GoArmyEd?

For assistance with technology questions:

  • Create a Helpdesk Case 24/7 
  • Call the GoArmyEd Help Desk – 800-817-9990 
  • Hours of Operation
    • Monday thru Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 11 p.m. Eastern Time
    • Saturday: Closed
    • Sunday: 6:00 p.m. - 11 p.m. Eastern Time

Return To Top

What if Soldiers wish to change their academic certificate or degree program?

Soldiers who wish to change their plans in GoArmyEd can create a helpdesk case for or meet with an Army Education Counselor to discuss options. Only an Army Education Counselor may change approve a request to change degree plans.

Return To Top

Can Soldiers receive credit toward a degree for military training and experience?

Yes. If Soldiers have a Student Agreement established with any of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Army Degrees (SOCAD) member schools, they are guaranteed that their college will follow the American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines for awarding maximum credit for military experience and training. The SOCAD Student Agreement specifies credit awarded for prior learning and any remaining credits required for degree completion.

Return To Top

Can Soldiers receive credit toward a degree for academic testing, like the College Level Examination Program (CLEP)?

Yes. If Soldiers have a SOCAD Student Agreement (SA) established with any of the SOCAD schools, they are guaranteed that their college will accept American Council on Education (ACE)-recommended minimum scores with associated recommended semester hours for the award of credit. This policy applies to each CLEP, Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), Subject Standardized Test (DSST), Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), and Excelsior College Examinations (ECE) test that students take or have taken.

Return To Top

What is academic residency?

Academic residency refers to the number of academic resident credits a student must complete with the home college to be eligible for a degree. Most SOCAD institutions require that Soldiers take a minimum of 25 percent of the total credits needed for the completion of their degree at the home college. If a SOC institution offers 100 percent of an undergraduate degree online, that institution may require active duty servicemembers to take 30 percent of that degree program to obtain residency.

Return To Top

What is a Degree Progress Report and what do I use it for?

The Degree Progress Report is an electronic listing of the academic requirements needed to complete a degree offered through GoArmyEd. The Degree Progress Report assists in identifying any academic work and experience that may be accepted in a college that lists its degree plans and classes in GoArmyEd. The Degree Progress Report helps Soldiers identify requirements they have or have not yet met.

The Degree Progress Report is refreshed each time a Soldier completes a course, receives credit for military experience, or successfully completes an approved academic test with a participating eArmyU school. Soldiers and Army Education Counselors may view the Degree Progress Report via the GoArmyEd portal.

Rturn To Top 

How should Soldiers notify their home colleges of previous military training?

Soldiers pursuing degrees that are set up in GoArmyEd must request academic transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended and have them forwarded to their home college. However, it is not necessary to request Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcripts System (AARTS) transcripts. When Soldiers select a degree plan set up in GoArmyEd, the AARTS transcript data is automatically transferred to the designated home college. If a Soldier has selected a college or degree plan that is not set up in GoArmyEd all transcripts must be requested and sent to the home college.

Return To Top

What rules apply for Soldiers using Army TA?

Army TA policy is described in AR 621-5 and applies to all TA usage.

Return To Top

May Soldiers go on terminal (transitional) leave while enrolled in TA-funded classes?

Soldiers enrolled in TA-funded classes who intend to go on terminal (transitional) leave prior to separating from active duty should meet with an Army Education Counselor to determine the impact of transitional leave on tuition assistance usage. Deactivation from the GoArmyEd portal will occur when Soldiers out-process through the Army Education Center. Soldiers will be unable to enroll in TA-funded classes after deactivation. Soldiers who are still enrolled in TA-funded classes at the time of out-processing will almost certainly be required to reimburse tuition costs. Policy reference for Army TA is AR 621-5.

Return To Top 

What is the Course Selection Policy in GoArmyEd?

All Soldiers who have a GoArmyEd username and password are eligible to request TA and enroll in college courses through GoArmyEd. Soldiers who are in good standing and who take college courses offered directly through GoArmyEd will be permitted to enroll in courses without Army Education Counselor approval. In order to remain in good standing, students must adhere to the following guidelines as established by the Army: 

  • Soldier must maintain an Army TA Grade Point Average (Army TA GPA) of 2.0.
  • Soldier must select courses required for the completion of his/her approved educational plan.
  • Soldier must actively work with the appropriate university to bring closure to any unresolved Incomplete grades.
  • All Incompletes must be completed within 120 days of the course end date.
  • Soldier must actively work to remove all holds that are placed on their account (holds will be placed for receiving failing grades, incompletes, or withdrawals for non-military reasons).
  • When enrolling in courses offered by an institution other than the Soldiers Home Institution, the Soldier is responsible for ensuring that courses selected will transfer to their degree program. 
  • Soldiers are required to sign a Grade Release form when they complete their GoArmyEd Common Application. This authorizes each university to distribute course grades directly to the GoArmyEd Student Services office and to the Army for the duration of the Soldiers use of GoArmyEd. This form will apply to all course until the Soldier notifies the Army in writing.

Return To Top

What is the Course Enrollment/Drop Policy?

Enrollment in a specific class through the GoArmyEd portal is subject to availability. Enrollment requests made by the student through the portal for classes that are listed in GoArmyEd are subsequently forwarded to the offering university. Students should assume that acceptance into the class is confirmed unless otherwise notified by the GoArmyEd portal.

Class enrollment is limited to 12 concurrent semester hours. If a student wishes to enroll in more than 12 semester hours concurrently, they must receive permission from their Army Education Counselor.

Registration deadlines for classes are in the GoArmyEd Course Schedule. Deadlines for dropping classes without financial penalty are also specified for each college on the “School Page” page. Click the “Earn a Degree or Credential” link and then click the “Colleges and Programs” link to view a college's tuition refund schedule. Each college has its own tuition refund schedule for classes dropped after the college’s drop deadline.

The registration deadline for Soldiers, who are in a current eArmyU Technology Package (Laptop) Participation Agreement, at the point of course enrollment, is 11 days prior to the class start date to allow sufficient time for the textbooks to be shipped to the Soldier’s address in the Portal. NOTE: For OCONUS Soldiers, who are in a current eArmyU Technology Package (Laptop) Participation Agreement, at the point of course enrollment, it is highly recommended that enrollment in classes is completed no later than 22 days prior to the class start date. The book supplier makes early book shipments beginning 21 days before a class start date to OCONUS Soldiers to account for longer shipping times.

The following refund schedules are effective for Soldiers, who are in a current eArmyU Technology Package (Laptop) Participation Agreement at the point of course enrollment, and drop or withdraw from an eArmyU class.

For courses with start dates on or before 31 May 08: Soldiers who drop an eArmyU class PRIOR to the class start date (by 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time) are not assessed a penalty for dropping a class. Students who drop an eArmyU class on the start date, or after the class has started are assessed a prorated tuition cost. For example, if a class started on Monday, 16 Apr 08 and a student dropped on Thursday, 5 Apr 08 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time, there would be no penalty. ANY date on or after 16 Apr 08 incurs a penalty.

Soldier in a current eArmyU Technology (Laptop) Participation Agreement, at the Point of Course Enrollment Drops or Withdraws from an eArmyU Class on or before 31 May 08

When is course dropped/withdrawn? Tuition
At least 11 days prior to course start date n/a
10 or fewer days prior to course start date n/a
Between class start date and 6% of course reimburse 35%
Between 7% and 13% of course 56%
Between 14% and 19% of course 75%
20% or more of course 100%


For courses with start dates on and after 1 June 08: Soldiers enrolled in eArmyU classes will follow the college’s tuition refund schedule as displayed in the GoArmyEd portal for classes  dropped after the college’s drop deadline.

Return To Top

What is the Change of Degree Plan/Home College Policy?

In order to submit a change to Home College and/or degree plan Soldiers must meet with their Army Education Counselor. Soldiers may not change their degree plan or home college directly with their college if they plan to use Tuition Assistance.

Specific requirements for each degree plan and/or college can be found on the “School Page” page located under the GoArmyEd tab, “Degrees and Programs” link. Soldiers are expected to understand these requirements, and to follow up with the appropriate campus liaison in submission of all additional required applications, transcripts, past education experience, etc.

Soldiers whose requests for a change of a degree plan and/or Home College are denied by the college will be placed on hold and will need to select a new degree plan or home college with their Army Education Counselor.

After an Army Education Counselor approves a change to a degree plan and/or college, Soldiers are required to obtain a new SOCAD Student Agreement (SA) or documented degree plan prior to the end of their second class under the new degree plan or prior to completing nine semester hours at any college using TA. A hold will be placed on the Soldiers account if a new SOCAD SA or documented degree plan is not posted to the Soldiers’ student record by the deadline. The hold will remain in place until this required agreement is in place.

When Soldiers complete all requirements for their degree plan, they are required to visit their Army Education Counselor before taking additional courses through GoArmyEd. An Army Education Counselor must approve a new degree plan in a higher degree.

Return To Top 

What is the Minimum 2.0 Army TA GPA Policy?

Soldiers who have completed 15 or more semester hours of tuition-assistance (TA) funded courses must maintain a 2.0 Army TA GPA in order to meet the eligibility requirement for additional TA. Once a Soldier falls below a 2.0 Army TA GPA, he/she is not eligible for additional TA. TA can be used again once the Soldier has achieved an Army TA GPA of 2.0 with a combination of TA-funded enrollments and subsequent enrollments using other funds.

Return To Top 

For Which College Courses is TA Authorized?

TA is only authorized in accordance with AR 621-5 and Army policy. Soldiers who enroll in classes that are not part of their certificate/degree plan are required to reimburse the TA-funded portion of tuition.

Return To Top

What is a Course Withdrawal for Military Reason?

Soldiers must reimburse TA if a course withdrawal or course failure is for personal or non-military-related reasons. Soldiers who are enrolled in TA-funded courses offered through GoArmyEd may request a withdrawal for military reasons (WM) for waiver of TA reimbursement for mission-related duties, or deployment for reasons the Commander deems are beyond the Soldiers control (emergency leave, death of a family member, illness/hospitalization, etc.). The process to request a WM is embedded in the course withdrawal process on GoArmyEd.

You will be required to select a valid reason for requesting the WM from a drop down menu and provide the name and contact information of your Commander.

The Army will closely monitor WM requests and may audit your request at any time.

Return To Top

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina