Southern Murchison Road Corridor Project
Fayetteville State University (FSU) was founded in 1867, and is a member of the seventeen institution University of North Carolina (UNC) System. The 136-acre main campus is located in the City of Fayetteville, the largest municipality in Cumberland County. The Murchison Road Corridor connects the University to downtown Fayetteville and Fort Bragg Army Base.
Over the last twenty years the university has been at the forefront of the redevelopment of the Murchison Road Corridor. The Fayetteville State University Development Corporation currently owns 50% interest in the Bronco Development, LLC, a public/private partnership that owns Bronco Square Retail Plaza; a 30,000 square foot shopping complex located adjacent to Fayetteville State University's main campus, and 100% ownership of the Fayetteville Business Center, a small business incubator located further north on the corridor. Fayetteville State University staff oversees the administration and financial management of the Fayetteville State University Development Corporation.
As the City of Fayetteville and Cumberland County has focused on the anticipated growth and business opportunities related to the transfer of over 25,000 military and civilian personnel from Fort McPherson Army Base in Atlanta, Georgia to Fort Bragg Army Base and Pope Army Airfield in Fayetteville, North Carolina, they have focused on improving Murchison Road as it is the main thoroughfare from downtown to Fort Bragg Army Base. Fayetteville State University is the largest landholder in the southern portion of Murchison Road and has committed to strengthening its role in that area's community redevelopment efforts.
Fayetteville State University proposes to undertake a comprehensive planning project that will include the the creation of a neighborhood conservation district, a redevelopement master plan for revitalization of twelve acres of blighted and vacant property located, demolition of two buildins on that site, and a community asset mping project within the Southern Murchison Road Corridor, of a historicall underserved area in the City of Fayetteville, in Cumberland County North Carolina.