Advisement Graduate School
Graduate School Advisement
As a new graduate student seeking a master’s degree, you should read and adhere to the following recommendations:
- To access the Graduate Catalog, click here.
- You must fill out a graduate application in the Office of Admissions.
- You should go to the department in which you are pursuing a degree or licensure. There, you should be advised and you will need to complete the blue card for registration.
- You should proceed to the registration area to pay your fees. If you are a continuing student, you may pre-register for courses, however, you must still be advised and fill out a blue card for registration. See the University Calendar for dates for pre-registration.
- You must be admitted to a degree program before you take more than twelve (12) graduate hours. MBA students may take no more than six (6) hours at the 600 level.
- You should be admitted to candidacy after you have accumulated twelve (12) graduate hours. The “Admission to Candidacy for a Graduate Degree” form is available on the website and in the Office of Graduate Studies.
- If you are required to take a comprehensive examination, you should apply for the comprehensive examination when you are in the last hours of your program. MBA students and some students in the School of Education are not required to take a comprehensive examination. See your advisor or call Graduate Studies if you have a question.
- You should apply for graduation in September (of the previous year) if you will complete the degree in May. You should file in May if you will complete the degree in December. “Applications for Graduation” forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. A fee of $50.00 is required.
- If you withdraw from a class, you must fill out a withdrawal form. Please note that if you do not, you will receive an “F” grade, and you will be withdrawn from Graduate Studies.
- Keep copies of everything that you do at Fayetteville State University. Withdrawals, applications, and letters of acceptance should all be kept in your personal file.
This is the a summary of the procedures and policies that you should know. For additional information, please go to our website at http://www.uncfsu.edu/graduateschool or call or contact your department chairperson and/or your graduate coordinator.