• Why do we do annual performance evaluations?
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina that each agency shall have an operative performance management system.
• Are they required on EPA positions?
Yes, but through use of a separate evaluation form provided by your respective division.
• How long should someone be an employee to require a performance evaluation?
Any SPA employee, who has successfully completed a probationary period as of November 30, 2012, is required to receive an annual performance evaluation.
• Do I need to complete an evaluation of my part time staff?
Yes, all employees considered as SPA (Subject to the State Personnel Act) must be reviewed through this process.
• Do I need to complete an evaluation on temporary or student employees?
• How do I start the evaluation process?
Start by going back to the Work Plan developed for the employee. All new hires and internal transfers should have a Work Plan completed within the first thirty (30) days of employment or transfer. Use the documentation collected throughout the performance cycle to evaluate the employee with respect to the position's established SMART goals / performance expectations. Then, select the appropriate Annual Performance Appraisal document to complete your evaluation form. Competencies and Expectations from the Work Plan can be copied and pasted into the Annual Performance Appraisal document. Documents can be found on the HR website under "Performance Management" -- http://www.uncfsu.edu/hr/performance-management.
• What if the employee refuses to sign?
The employee's signature does not indicate agreement but acknowledgement that he or she received an evaluation. If an employee refuses to submit an evaluation back to the Hiring Manager for completion by the Reviewer, contact HR and we will submit the evaluation back to you with comments. If you have any questions, please contact the Employee Relations Team.
• When is the completed evaluation due in Human Resources?
The Evaluation must be in the final status of "Evaluation Complete" with all appropriate electronic signatures (employee, supervisor, AND reviewer) to Human Resources no later than Wednesday, May 15, 2013.
• What if I only supervised this employee for part of the year?
The current manager is responsible for completing the performance review of any employee who transferred into their current position prior to December 1, 2012. Former supervisors of employees who transferred after December 1, 2012 will be contacted by HR to complete a paper evaluation.
• Can I rate an employee fractionally? For example 3.5 or 4.3?
No, ratings must be entered into Banner as a whole number e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.
• Is the reviewer signature required?
• What if the employee will be on FMLA/vacation/military leave or otherwise not available to sign until after April 30?
Please contact the following Human Resources representatives for advice - Yanis Quinonez or Denise Brown-Hart.
• When is a performance improvement plan required?
A performance improvement plan is required for any employee who receives a rating of '1' or '2' in any single competency. In addition, the performance improvement plan is required for any overall rating of '1' or '2'.
• Should I save a copy of the appraisal?
Yes, save a copy for your records and provide the employee with a signed copy.
• My employee is still completing his/her Probationary period. Must I complete a Performance Evaluation for him/her?
If the employee was still on probation as of December 31st, you will not have to complete a Performance Evaluation for that employee in May.