"Don't be pushed around by the fears on your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart"
I often wonder "where would I be now?" if I had not received the guidance and given the opportunity from people that saw traits in me that I couldn't see. The reason that it is important for me to give back is to "play it forward "and give that one individual or individuals the same opportunity and guidance that was once given to me.
Dr. and Mrs. Adams have created a Second Chance Endowed Scholarship for they realize that everyone in school deserves a second change and reserves this scholarship to FSU students meeting the selection criteria.
Dr. Richard C. Adams along with his siblings, two sisters and one brother, was born and raised in Toledo, Ohio. After graduating from high school mid-year 1974, Dr. Adams entered the United States Army for a three-year commitment in order to improve his opportunity to afford college under the GI Bill. During his 3-year commitment, Dr. Adams applied and was accepted to the United States Military Academy West Point, New York. Fulfilling his desire since high school to be in the healthcare, Dr. Adams left West Point at the end of his sophomore year to continue his undergraduate studies at The Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio. He was accepted to dental school there in 1979. While in dental school, Dr. Adams completed the Advanced Phase of Army ROTC: identified as a Distinguish Military Graduate and commissioned in March 1980.
Following graduation from dental school, June 1983, Dr. Adams return to active duty as an Army Dental Officer. Dr. Adams' tour of duty involved: Washington, Texas, Republic of South Korea, Washington DC, Honduras, Central America, Hawaii, Georgia and North Carolina. During Dr. Adams' active service, he met and married his wife Maria and raised two daughters: Sajata (FSU alumna) and Bianca (2nd year dental student ECU School of Dental Medicine Greenville, North Carolina). While in the Army, Dr. Adams applied for and was accepted for a 4-year residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Tripler Army Medical Center Honolulu, Hawaii, July 1990-June 1994 while his wife Maria underwent 2 year training as a Nurse Anesthetist in San Antonio, Texas. Dr. Adams and family's last assignment was Ft Bragg, North Carolina and he retired in the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in July 2002. Dr. Adams began practice in Atlanta, Georgia but maintain ties in Fayetteville until returning to Fayetteville in 2007 and establishing with his wife Carolina Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Center.
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Zoology - The Ohio State Universty
- DDS - The Ohio State University School of Denistry
- Certificate Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Civic Engagement (Present)
- Army Dental Officer 1983-1990
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon 1994-2002
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Mentor Army 1-Year General Denistry, Ft. Benning, GA, and Ft. Bragg, NC
- Board of Trustee Member, Fayetteville State University
- Member, Simon Temple AME Zion Church
- Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity, Epsilon Alpha Chapter
- Invited Lectures 1999, 2006, 2009
- Autologous TMJ Disc Replacement, Journal of American Dential Association, November 1995
- Routes of Midazolam Usage, AAOMS National Meeting Honolulu, Hawaii, September 1993