The 1867 Endowed Scholarship was established to honor the legacy and history of Fayetteville State University.
In 1867 seven visionary Black citizens of Fayetteville, North Carolina pay $136.00 for two lots on Gillespie Street and form among themselves a self-perpetuating Board of Trustees to maintain the property for the education of Black youth. The seven founders are David A. Bryant, Nelson Carter, Andrew J. Chesnutt, George Grainger, Matthew Leary. Thomas Lomax, and Robert Simmons.
In 1877, the Howard School became not just the first public normal school for African Americans in North Carolina but also the first state-sponsored institution for the education of African-American teachers in the South. It was renamed the State Colored Normal School in Fayetteville that year, Fayetteville State Teachers College in 1939, Fayetteville State College in 1963, and Fayetteville State University in 1969.
The 1867 Endowment provides scholarship assistance to sophmores and juniors attending Fayetteville State University.