Intramural Sports Mission Statement
The mission of Intramural Sports is to provide competitive, non-competitive, recreational, and instructional opportunities for the Fayetteville State students, faculty, and staff. We are committed to the development of a healthy active lifestyle, enhancing the collegiate experience through leadership development, teamwork, sportsmanship, diversity, responsible and ethical conduct, and quality teams and individuals with a focus on overall enjoyment.
Alcohol and Drug Policy
The possession or consumption of alcohol or illegal drugs is prohibited at any Intramural Sports activity. Any individual suspected of being under the influence will be asked to leave the facility complex. Each team is responsible for enforcing this policy with team members and spectators. Violators are subject to disciplinary action in accordance with University policy.
Bronco ID Card Policy
A valid Bronco ID Card is required to participate in all Intramural Sports activities. No other forms of identification will be accepted. Any late arriving participants must show their Bronco ID Card to the Supervisor or Scorekeeper before participating.
Assumption of Risk Statement
Participation in University Recreation activities at Fayetteville State University involves potential risk of physical injury. By engaging in recreational activities, the participant assumes the risk of bodily injury and agrees to release the University, its officers, employees and agents from all liability for injuries sustained by the participant.
Persons participating in recreational activities at Fayetteville State University are strongly recommended to acquire their own personal health insurance since the university does not carry health or accident insurance to cover injuries and medical care for these individuals.
In addition, it is strongly encouraged that participants consult with their physician before assuming any physical activity and to reduce the potential for injury by stretching adequately before and after any activity.
Fayetteville State University Intramural Sports & Recreational 2014 - 2015 Policies and Procedures
• Students - anyone who is currently enrolled on the campus of Fayetteville State, holds a valid Bronco ID card
Varsity, Junior Varsity, Professional or Former Athletes:
• A member of the varsity team or anyone listed on any college or university's athletic roster is ineligible for Intramural Sports participation in their related sport.
• Former college athletes are ineligible to participate in their related sport for 1 year following that sport's national championship game.
• Students receiving a varsity scholarship are not eligible during the current academic year to play the sport in which they hold the scholarship. Athletes who lose their scholarship and have never lettered are ineligible to participate in Intramural Sports in the given sport during the current academic year.
• Students or Staff who have established themselves as professionals in any sport will not be eligible to participate in the sport in which they forfeited their amateur standing.
All participants must be on a team's roster in order to participate. Failure to comply may result in that participant's team forfeiting the game. Players may not change teams once they have signed in on the score sheet or played any portion of a contest. The first team that a player participates for is his/her legal team. Regardless of the reason, no ineligible player may compete in an Intramural Sports contest. No opposing team may give its consent for the participation of an ineligible player.
Intramural Sports activities are composed of 3 leagues: Co-ed, Men's & women.
• Any eligible participant may participate on a Men's Open or Women's Open team
All participants must create an account through www.imleagues.com in order to be elgible to participate in Intramrual Sports here at FSU.
The team captain will complete his/her team sport roster(s) during the scheduling period using IM Leagues. In order for a roster to be considered complete, it must contain the minimum number of participants required for that sport and the appropriate gender breakdown must be followed for co-rec activities. Team captains will need each participant's given name in addition to email address or campus ID number in order to add players to their roster(s). Players may be added to a roster by creating an account and requesting to be added to a team through IM Leagues. Any team with an incomplete roster may be dropped from the league schedule at the conclusion of the online scheduling period.
• There is no limit to the size of a team's roster (depending on the sport). However, the maximum number of championship shirts awarded will be on and a half times the number of players allowed to play at one time. Ex: A softball team is allowed 10 players on the field at once. Therefore, a maximum of 15 championship shirts will be allotted to that team.
• Roster Additions:
• Team captains will have two options for adding players to their roster after the online scheduling period has ended.
• Captains may utilize the online scheduling module to add players to their roster throughout the entire season. A player must be added to the roster by 3:00pm the day of the game in order to appear on that day's score sheet.
• Captains may also fill out a roster addition form at the game site. Teams will be allowed to add players at the game site prior to the start of the game. Captains will have to complete the roster addition form and each player will have to have their Bronco Card present.
All protests regarding rule interpretations or misapplication of the game rules must be verbally declared by the team captain at the instance of disagreement (prior to the next play) with the game officials. The game officials will immediately suspend play and contact either a student supervisor or an official's evaluator. The supervisor or evaluator at the game site will resolve these types of protests. Note: An official's judgment is not a basis for protest. Additionally, a protest will not result in replaying the game due to an official's rule interpretation.
Player Eligibility protest must be made to the Intramural Sports office. Note: The Assistant Director/Coordinator of Competitive Sports will handle all eligibility protests on an individual basis.
Scheduling and League Structure
Most activities are scheduled Monday thru Sunday, time (TBD) However, due to the number of teams registered, times and days of play may be adjusted to accommodate more teams. Certain special events will be scheduled as weekend or one-day events; all participants must be ready and available when called upon. Make-up and playoff games may be scheduled during any day and time of the week.
Schedules will be posted online. It is the responsibility of the team captain or individual/dual sport participant to know this information for participation in the scheduled activities to avoid forfeit charges.
Post-season & Tournaments
Playoff Captain's Meeting
At the conclusion of most team sport's regular season, a Playoff Captain's Meeting will be held. At this meeting, the teams that qualified for the playoffs will be able to see where their place in the tournament bracket. All eligible teams will be seeded based on record and the tie-break procedures described above will be used when needed. If no representative from a team is present, that team will forfeit their place in the tournament.
Tournament brackets will be posted on the Intramural Sports website. Additionally, a listing of play-by dates by round will be posted if necessary. If you have any question regarding your opponent contact the University Recreation office immediately for assistance.
Sportsmanship and Code of Conduct
All students are expected to know and abide by the regulations and policies set forth by the Code of Student Conduct, and are subject to disciplinary action by the University for any violation of this code. The Department of University Recreation reserves the right to refer any incidents involving substandard student conduct to the Office of Student Conduct.
If a game did not begin due to weather/poor field conditions/power failures/etc neither team will receive a sportsmanship rating for that game. If a game has begun, a sportsmanship rating will be given based upon each team's actions while at the complex.
A team winning by forfeit/default for reason other than sportsmanship will receive an "A" sportsmanship rating.
Suspension from Play:
• Participating while suspended
• Signing in under a false name
Playing on more teams than allowed will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
Fighting during an Intramural Sports event will result in a minimum 1 year suspension.
* If a participant is ejected near the end of the semester/academic year, the suspension may carry over into the following semester/academic year.
*The Intramural Sports Staff reserves the right to adjust any participant's suspension.
Each team entered in any Intramural Sports activity must have a designated Team Manager who will act as the official liaison between the team and University Recreation.
Some Team Manager responsibilities include:
• Registering the team for team sports or completing entry forms for Individual/Dual Sports or Special Events, prior to registration deadlines.
University Recreation Fayetteville State University Intramural Sports 2012 - 2013 Policies and Procedures
• Notifying his/her team members as to the time and place of scheduled activities to avoid forfeits.
• Ensuring that forfeit payments are brought to the University Recreation office by the designated date. If payment isn't made, the charge will be placed on the Team Manager's account.
• Ensuring team representative calls to notify the Intramural Sports Department of a default.
• Informing all participants and spectators that Fayetteville State University and the Department of Recreation & Intramurals are not responsible for lost or stolen property, damage to personal property or injuries sustained while participating.
• Becoming familiar with the governing rules and specific sport rules and relaying this information to all team members.
• Having players sign in with Intramural Sport Staff prior to participating in any contest
• Organizing their teams for play in a manner that avoids conflict or mismanagement: o Check and verify the eligibility of each player before and during the season
o Make an effort to see that those representing his/her team/organization play according to the rules of the game and conduct themselves as good sports, including spectators.
o Verify that no players are participating under an assumed name or while they are currently serving a suspension form Intramural Sports; and
• The team manager or his/her designee may check out equipment from the Equipment Room one hour prior to their scheduled contest. The Equipment Room is located on the main floor of Lilly Gym.
• Representing team at each sport's Playoff Captain's Meeting.
Team Name and Uniform
The Intramural Sports Program reserves the right to change any team name that is deemed inappropriate or offensive to participants. Please use proper judgment when selecting names and uniform artwork. Intramural Sports reserves the right to disallow uniforms or jerseys that are deemed inappropriate. If you are unsure if a team name will be accepted, contact the University Recreation office and speak with an Intramural Sports representative.
Teams may check out jerseys from the Equipment Room located in Lilly Gym.
The University Recreation staff makes decisions concerning the postponement or cancellation of games due to inclement weather at 3:00 pm Monday - Friday and by 1:00 pm on Sundays. Participants should check the Intramurals & Recreation website for this information; teams should not assume that games are cancelled simply because of rain, nor should they assume the fields are open simply because it is sunny at their location, or if it has rained heavily recently but is currently sunny. Normally, games will be rescheduled or cancelled within 24 hours. Teams should check the University Recreation website to confirm their schedule after all inclement weather situations.
Special Game Situations:
• Inclement weather for Flag Football and Soccer: o Games stopped at any time up to the first 10 minutes of the second half will be completed from the point of interruption with the score as is. After the 10-minute mark in the 2nd half all games will be ruled official contests.
• Inclement weather for Softball: o Any game stopped prior to 5 innings will be completed from the point of interruption with the score as is. All games stopped after the completion of the 5th inning will be ruled official contests.
Tournament Structure and Qualification:
As a courtesy to their opponents and to avoid being charged with a forfeit, teams may request a default for games they will be unable to attend. All defaults must be made known to the University Recreation Office by 3:00 pm the day of the contest. For games scheduled on Saturday or Sunday notification must be made by 3:00 pm on Friday.
Participants should email the Intramural Sports office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the University Recreation office at 910-672-2288 in order to default.
If a team fails to appear at the scheduled playing time, the supervisors will give the choice of accepting a win by forfeit, or waiting 10 minutes for their opponents to arrive. The captain's choice is irrevocable. If the captain chooses to wait 10 minutes, then the game clock will be started. As soon as the minimum numbers of players arrive the game will start. If the minimum numbers of players are not present for either team, a double forfeit will be declared. To obtain a contest victory by forfeiture, the required number of participants must be present (signed in on the score sheet and on the field/court ready to play).
Teams that forfeit twice in a scheduled event will be dropped from further competition in that sport or left up to the supervisor discretion.
Equipment Payment Structure:
Any damages to equipment, fields or the building that have not occurred within the framework of the activity offered will be charged to the offending participant(s). He/she will be financially responsible for any and all deliberate or negligent destruction to buildings, fields or equipment.
All damaged or lost equipment will be charged at the current value of the lost or damaged item(s). Note: Some equipment is sold as a set and does not have an individual price. The total amount to replace the equipment as sold will be charged in order to replace the damaged or missing items(s).
Participants must fall into one of the following categories to be eligible to participate in Intramural Sports programming: