Supplemental Instruction Application
- SI leaders are paid $8.00 (new applicants) per hour for approximately 10 hours per week according to the following schedule:
- Attend class - three hours
- Attend weekly training sessions -- one hour every week
- Conduct at least three one-hour SI sessions per week
- Meet with course instructor - one hour per week, if the instructor so desires
- Hold office hours in the University College Learning Center - two hours per week
- Hold extra sessions when necessary
- SI leaders strengthen their own academic skills in the subject area while practicing communication skills.
- SI Leaders can enhance their resume with skills obtained working with the SI program!
- To be eligible to serve as an SI leader, students MUST:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Have completed one of the targeted course with a final grade of an A.
- Be able to attend all lectures of the class for which he/she is doing SI. (must plan your own schedule around this)
- Complete an application, which includes obtaining recommendations from two faculty members
Good SI Leader Candidates WILL:
- Be model students who understand the importance and application of effective study skills and strategies.
- Be knowledgeable in course content of one or more of the targeted courses.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication skills.
- Be able to flexibly work the 10 hours per week according to student needs and availability.
- Possess excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Participate in a required SI Leader Training Workshop. Please understand that students unable to attend this training are ineligible to serve as SI Leaders.
- Attend all lectures (not labs) of the class in which he or she is serving as SI leader.
- Conduct at least three one-hour SI sessions each week in which he or she will review class notes, conduct quizzes, and carry out other activities/assignments designed to reinforce material covered in class.
- Keep two "office hours" each week for session planning/prep and to meet with students who are unable to attend SI sessions or may need additional one-on-one assistance.
- Attend biweekly group training sessions/ Individual feedback meetings with the SI Coordinator.
- Complete and submit all paperwork on time.
- Conduct a survey in the class to determine the times accessible to all or most of the students in the class.
- Publicize and consistently promote in the classroom and on campus the benefits of attending SI study sessions.
- Maintain complete and accurate data on student attendance in SI sessions
- Provide information about student attendance to the SI Coordinator.
- Maintain a working relationship with the Instructor through regular meetings/collaboration to increase student success.
If you would like to serve as a Supplemental Instruction Leader, please stop by Helen T. Chick, Room 005 to obtain the SI Leader Application and Faculty Recommendation Forms. Your complete application and recommendations must be submitted to the SI Coordinator's office no later than November 1, 2013, in HTC 005 for interest in Spring 2014 employment. (Please understand that there is an interview component to the application process.
Submission deadline for Spring 2014 is November 15, 2013.
Applications may be returned to the Helen T. Chick Building, 001A and should include two recommendations forms completed by FSU faculty.