Purpose of Talent Search
The TRiO Talent Search Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education for the purpose of providing academic support services to students in middle and high school, who reside in Cumberland, Hoke, and Robeson counties. The purpose of Educational Talent Search is to prepare students for college and increase chances of obtaining a bachelors degeree.
- Academic Support Workshops
- College Tours
- Cultural Enrichment Activities
Talent Search participants are in grades 6-12 and attend the following schools:
- E.E. Smith High School
- Douglas Byrd High School
- Hoke County High School
- West Hoke Middle School
- Red Springs Middle School
- Red Springs High School
There is no cost to students participating in the Talent Search program.
Students accepted to the program receive free services and are expected to make a serious commitment to both post-secondary education and the Talent Search Program. You should apply to the program and participate if:
- You will be in at least the 6th grade (students in the 5th grade may apply for admission but will not be admitted until they receive their final 5th grade report card)
- You attend one of the target high schools.
- You are a potential first generation college students and/or students who receive free/reduced lunch.
- You plan on continuing your education after high school at a four-year college
- You are willing to participate in all aspects of the Talent Search Program
How Can I Enroll in the Talent Search Program?
- Cumberland County (Douglas Byrd & E.E. Smith High School) Application Click Here
- Middle School Application (Red Springs & West Hoke Middle School) Click Here
- Robeson & Hoke County (Hoke County & Red Springs High School) Application Click Here
The Fayetteville State University Talent Search Program is funded from 2011-2016 entirely from the U.S. Department of Education in the amount of $251,376 annually.
Educational Talent Search
Office of College Access Programs
Fayetteville State University
1200 Murchison Road
Fayetteville, NC 28301
Chick Building Room 216 D
Hours: M-F, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Phone: 910 672 1686
Fax: 910 672 1854
Cheryl M. Adams - Program Coordinator