The J.W. Seabrook Auditorium has been a focal point of the Fayetteville State University campus since it made its debut in 1954. Providing thousands of acts over the years, many great performers and famous names have graced the stage.
The J.W. Seabrook Auditorium is basked in university history. The building, originally constructed in 1954, has seen its fair share of famous performers and speakers. The building, which held 1,200 people, was originally called College Auditorium. The name changed to J.W. Seabrook Auditorium in honor of Dr. J. Ward Seabrook, the president of Fayetteville State Teacher’s College from 1933-1956.
The J.W. Seabrook Auditorium not only hosts performances for students to enjoy, but is also a cornerstone of entertainment in the community. Students and community members have enjoyed a variety of talents that have graced the Seabrook stage over the years, including Duke Ellington, the Godfather of Soul James Brown, and Dr. Maya Angelou.
The J. W. Seabrook Auditorium closed its doors and re-opened in November 2005 after a complete renovation. The renovations that cost $6.5 million and took two years to complete, included a 7-foot deep orchestra pit, new seats, box seats, new lighting and stage, more bathrooms, an enlarged box office, an elevator, a new sound booth, state-of-the-art sound equipment, and a $60,000 organ. The J. W. Seabrook Auditorium now holds 1,134 people. (14 seats removed to accommodate wheelchairs)