I welcome your visit, electronically or in person, to the School of Education. I invite you on an exciting journey through our programs of study, to participate in our organizations, and to become beneficiaries of our services.
The School enjoys a proud heritage of preparing professionals who are sensitive and responsive to the diverse needs of students, parents, and the community. >> Read More
Dr. Leontye Lewis, Dean
School of Education
The School of Education will build upon its proud history of offering strong academic programs designed to prepare effective and high quality teachers and other educational leaders and professionals who will positively impact the lives of the children, local educational agencies, communities, and organizations for global competitiveness in the 21st Century.
The School of Education prepares knowledgeable, reflective, and caring professionals in the fields of education, research, and service. Our completers have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to support student learning, within a framework of family and community, through participation in a diverse, technological, and global society. We proudly prepare transformational educators and educational leaders for the southeastern region of the state, nation, and the global community.
2013-2014 Strategic Priorities & Goals:
1. Ensure Academic Quality: To prepare candidates as teachers, leaders, or other school professionals for licensure and program completion, resulting in high quality professionals who promote academic growth for a diverse and global student population; the process is monitored through an assessment system that ensures all program completers meet program learning outcomes at an acceptable or proficient level
a. Improve Assessment of Undergraduate learning
b. Improve Assessment of Graduate learning
c. Improve Score on the Graduating Senior Survey
d. Improve/Maintain Average Admissions GPA
e. Monitor Employer Survey on Graduate Readiness
f. Monitor Employment Rate over the past three years
2. Increase Degree Attainment: To provide leadership and resources, including personnel and facilities, resulting in increased enrollment and persistence rate (retention and graduation) across all programs.
a. Increase Enrollment of First Time Freshman
b. Increase Enrollment of Transfer Students
c. Increase Enrollment of Graduate Student
d. Increase Persistence Rate for First time Freshman
e. Increase Persistence Rate for First Time Transfer Students
f. Increase Persistence Rate for Graduate Students
g. Maintain Strong Persistence Rate for SOE
h. Increase Program Completion Numbers
3. Increase Educational Support Services: To deliver instruction and provide academic support, including intensive advisement, tutoring, research guidance and supervision, and effective field experiences and clinical practice necessary to enable teacher candidates, educational leaders, and other school professionals to develop and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions necessary to enhance student learning and success
a. Improve Quality of Teacher Education Programs
b. Increase Student Satisfaction on Advisement
c. Improve Mission Completers' Impact on Student Growth
4. Increase Research and Professional Development: To strengthen research activities and productivity for SOE professionals, including cross-disciplinary collaborations, resulting in best practices in scholarship, service, and teaching that includes self-assessment of teaching effectiveness as measured by the quality and rate of candidate and completer performance
a. Increase faculty Involvement in Professional Development
b. Increase Staff Involvement in Professional Development
c. Maintain a Research Agenda
5. Enhance Community Engagement: To increase the delivery of educational services to P-12 children, parents, and educators - primarily in the southeastern region of the state - so as to enhance student learning, teaching quality, school leadership, and the lives of the people of North Carolina, the United States, and the global community
a. Increase Service to P-12 Children
b. Increase Service to P-12 Educators
c. Improve Services Provided by the Early Childhood Learning Center
6. Ensure Continuous Improvement: To promote continuous improvement in academic programs, instruction, academic support, research, and community outreach through effective planning, assessment, and use of assessment results for improvement
a. Maintain Measures of Continuous Improvement Record (CIR)
All institutions preparing teachers for initial licensure in NC must be accredited by the NC Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) and must achieve and maintain unit accreditation from the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).