What is University-School Teacher Education Partnership?
The goals of the University-School Teacher Education Partnership (U-STEP) are:
- To improve teaching and learning through better preparation of teachers, administrators, license personnel, and non-licensed staff
- To create more effective models of pre-service preparation
- To strengthen the teaching profession, from initial preparation through career-long professional development and renewal
- To redesign the written and taught teacher education curricula in order to reduce the gap between theory and practice
- To redefine and clarify the professional roles of teachers and university professors to be consistent with the demands of the 21st century
- To improve P-16 learning experiences through university-school collaborative efforts
- To increase the number of elementary schools in the partnership
- To provide educational technology services to schools in the partnership district
The components of the PDSs, which provide the nucleus for all other strategies, are (1) pre-service preparation, (2) induction, (3) in--service education and professional development, (4) integration of technology into the classroom, (5) collaborative research, and (6) recruitment.