- To prepare students for beginning generalist social work practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities with emphasis on rural and military social work
- To develop social workers who advance and promote social justice
- To empower social work students with the knowledge, skills, and values needed to alleviate oppression, poverty, discrimination, and social and economic injustice.
- To inculcate in students respect for diversity and appreciation of difference as they prepare for service in a multicultural society, and a global community.
- To develop students who will become effective consumers and producers of research for evidence based practice
- To promote the concept of lifelong learners