Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

School of Social Work

FSU HomeSWDegree ProgramsMSW ProgramFAQs


Q: What are the MSW Program admission requirements?

A: The MSW Program admission requirements are:

  • Completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
  • A minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale in all undergraduate work or a 3.0 in the last 60 hours completed.
  • A broad liberal arts background, which includes courses in biology, English, the humanities and a minimum of six courses in basic social and behavioral sciences.
  • Academic credit is not given for life or work experience.
  • A score on the Graduate Record Exam (General Section) (GRE).
  • Three (3) forms of recommendation.
  • Students must submit to the department a personal statement of no more than five (5) typed, double-spaced pages which addresses the applicant’s: (a) interest in pursuing the profession of social work, (b) volunteer and paid work experiences, (c) future career plans, (d) community involvement, and (e) personal qualities that the applicant brings to the social work profession.
  • Personal interview may be required.

Q: Describe Advanced Standing.

A: Advanced standing is a one-year full-time academic program that is granted to eligible students with a bachelor of social work degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Students must have completed their bachelor’s degree in social work within five years of expected enrollment in the MSW Program and have a cumulative 3.0 GPA to apply for advanced standing. Completion of two required graduate social work seminar classes during the summer prior to entering the fall semester is required.

Q: What is the MSW Program admission application deadline?

A:  The MSW Program admission application deadline is January 15th. Admission to the MSW Program is for the fall term only.

Q:  Is there an admission application fee?

A:  Yes there is an application fee.  All applicants are required to pay a $25.00 application fee.

Q: Where may I obtain an application for admission to the MSW Program?

A: You may obtain an application from the Graduate Studies, Research & Extended Learning; Fayetteville State University; 1200 Murchison Road; Fayetteville, North Carolina 28301-4298; Office Phone: 910-672-1348; FAX: 910-672-1782, or visit their website:

Q: Is the GRE required?

A: Yes, the GRE is required, and the university must receive the official GRE scores before the admission application deadline. The GMAT and/or the MAT are not accepted.

Q: Must I submit official copies of my college transcripts?

A: Yes, students must submit official copies of transcripts with the certification of the college or university and the raised seal.

Q: Can I complete the MSW degree on a part time basis?

A: Yes, the MSW Program does have a part time program. Students must enroll in the MSW Program and specify their desire to attend the MSW Part-Time Program.

Q: If my application is missing any documents, will the university notify me and give me an opportunity to submit documents.

A: It is applicants' responsibility to ensure the university has received all required documents to complete your application. All application materials must be submitted and postmarked by the MSW Program application deadline.

Q: I have been working in the field of social work.  Can I receive course credit or field placement credit for my work experience?

A: No, the MSW Program does not grant academic credit for life or work experience.

Q: May I begin the MSW Program any semester?

A: No, students admitted to the two year full-time MSW Program must begin in the fall semester only. Students admitted advanced standing must begin during the summer prior to the fall semester only.

Q: When will I be notified regarding my admission application?

A:  The MSW Program Admissions Committee will make every effort to notify applicants of the decision by April 1.

Q: When are the MSW Program courses offered?

A: Many of the MSW Program courses are offered during the evenings on weekdays and weekends.

Q: Do I have to complete an internship?

A: All MSW Program students must complete an internship during their foundation year (1st year) and the advanced year (2nd year).

Q: When do I complete my field placement internship?

A: Student interns are required to work in their field placement agencies during the day. The first year of field placement requires students be in placement two days a week. Students must complete no less than 460 hours of agency work. Students in their second year or advanced standing are in placement three days a week and must complete no less than 500 hours of agency work.

Q: Is financial aid available?

A: All students are encouraged to apply for financial assistance. Financial assistance may be available through the Financial Aid Office (910-672-1423) and research assistantships through the Graduate Studies, Research & Extended Learning Office (910-672-1348).

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina