Second Year Initiative
Students in their second year at FSU have a resource: the Second Year Initiative (SYI). SYI is designed to assist undeclared students between the end of their first year and the point at which they are accepted into a major program. We do this in a variety of ways:
- Second-Year Advisement: Undeclared students in good academic standing will continue to be advised by their former Freshman Seminar instructor. Students in academic difficulty will be advised by the SYI Coordinator.
- Career Counseling: SYI works with Advisement and Career Services to provide guidance in choosing careers and majors. SYI organizes other events where second-year students can talk with advisors, faculty, and practitioners of different professions to help students gain more information about their career and major options. Click here for Career Services: http://www.uncfsu.edu/career-services.
- Sophomore Events: SYI includes a number of events tailored to the specific needs of second-year students. These include celebrations and recognition of the achievements of second-year students.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) targets courses in which second-year students typically enroll and in which they often experience difficulty. Click here for SI webpage: http://www.uncfsu.edu/learning-center/supplemental-instruction.
Major Exploration: Graduation is your goal!!!How do you get from here to there???
- Still looking for a major?
- Trying to decide on a career or a second career option?
- Consider some of the newer options for a major or a minor that are offered at FSU.
Have you considered:
For more information about SYI, contact the SYI Coordinator:
Zelphia Hinnant-Jones, M.Ed.
Coordinator for Second-Year Initiatives
Fayetteville State University
Fayetteville, NC 28301
Office: Chick 1321 Phone: 910-672-1639