Elementary Education (MAT)
Candidates in the Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Education Program are trained to become professionals who are competent to meet the content knowledge needs of K-6 students. The program leads to an A and M level North Carolina license and is designed for those candidates who do not hold an initial teaching license in an area. The Master of Art in Teaching is a program within the CAEP (Formly NCATE) accredited College of Education and is approved by the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction.
Why Choose a Master of Arts in Elementary Education?
Become a leader in your classroom, school, and community! A Master of Arts in Teaching in Elementary Education will provide an opportunity for you to advance your career and provide experiences that will enhance your knowledge, skills and dispositions to teach in the elementary classroom. Take the next steps in your teaching career, become a Master Teacher!
What Will You Learn?
You will graduate from this program with the ability to be a knowledgeable, caring, and reflective practitioner. The program provides candidates with in-depth knowledge in all elementary curriculum areas including theories, processes, strategies, and research. You will have opportunities to use this knowledge to plan appropriate program for a diverse population of K-6 students.
You will also demonstrate an in- depth understanding of:
- theoretical foundations of teaching and learning in elementary curriculum areas.
- data analysis to support student learning in the classroom
- learning enivornments that incorporate researched-based best practices
- collaboration, professional learning and leadership as a career-long responsibility
- instructional curriculum to support student learning
- technology to enhance instruction, learning, research, and assessment
What Concentration Are Available?
- Language Arts
What Can You Do With a MAT Degree In Elementary Education?
- K-6 Classroom Teacher
- Professional Tutor
- Community Leader
- Help Youth Offenders
- Pursue Advanced Degrees in Education or other fields