Elementary Education (M.Ed.)
Candidates in the Elementary Education Program are trained to become professionals who are competent to meet the content knowledge needs of K-6 students. The program provides candidates with in- depth knowledge in reading, science, math and language arts to include theories, processes, strategies, curriculum, and research so they can use that knowledge to plan appropriate programs for a diverse population of K-6 students. In addition, the program provides practical applications in the development of leadership skills for effective leadership in the school, classroom, and in the teaching professions. A program within the CAEP ( Formerly NCATE) accredited School of Education; the Elementary Education Program is approved by the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction to offer a license in elementary education ( K-6) and approved by the UNC Board of Governors to offer the M. Ed. degree.
Why Choose to get a Master in Elementary Education?
Become a leader in your classroom, school, and community! A MEd in Elementary Education will provide an opportunity for you to advance your teaching career and provide experiences that will enhance your teaching knowledge and skills .Upon earning this degree, you will be able to upgrade your current initial license to an advanced level license in North Carolina. Take the next steps in your teaching career, become a Master Teacher!
What Will You Learn?
You will graduate from this program with the ability to be a knowledgeable, caring, and reflective practitioner; you will also demonstrate an in-depth understanding of:
- theoretical foundations of teaching and learning in elementary curriculum areas
- data analysis to support student learning in the classroom
- learning environments that incorporate researched- based best practices
- collaboration, professional learning and leadership as a career-long responsibility
- instructional approaches, materials, and an integrated, comprehensive, balanced curriculum to support student learning
- technology to enhance instruction, learning, research, and assessment
What Will You Do?
- K-5 Classroom Teacher
- Professional Tutor
- General Education in Community College
- Community Education Centers
- Youth Offender Organizations
- Pursue Advanced Degrees in Education or other fields
- Corporate Trainer
- Education and Supply Companies
- Education Consultant