Reading Education (M.Ed.)
Candidates in the Reading Education Program are trained to become reading professionals who are competent to meet the literacy needs of K-12 students. The program provides candidates with an in- depth knowledge of reading theories, process, strategies, curriculum, and research so they can use that knowledge to plan appropriate reading programs for a variety of contexts, to communicate information to a wide variety of audiences, and to provide leadership for school literacy programs. A program within the CAEP ( Formly NCATE) accredited School of Education, the Reading Education Program is approved by the North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction to offer a license in reading education and approved by the UNC Board of Governors to offer the M. Ed. degree.
Why Choose a MEd in Reading Education?
Did you know, approximately 781 million people worldwide still cannot read or write? Do you want to gain expertise in supporting and inspiring students and others on their literacy journey? Become an advocate and leader of literacy in your classroom, school, and community.
Why Will You Learn?
You will graduate from this program with the ability to be a knowledgeable, caring, and reflective practitioner. You will also demonstrate an understanding of:
- Theoretical and evidenced- base foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction
- Instructional approaches, material, and an integrated balanced curriculum to support reading and writing
- Assessment tools and practices to plan and evaluate effective reading and writing instruction
- Literacy practices that develop awareness, understanding, respect, and a valuing of difference in our society
- A literate environment that fosters reading and writing
- Professional learning and leadership as a career-long effort and responsibility
What can you do with a Master Degree in Reading Education?
- Literacy Coach
- Instructional Coach
- Reading Specialist
- Classroom Teacher K-6
- Purse Advanced Degrees in Education or other fields
- Corporate Trainer
- Education and Supply Companies
- Education Consultant