Mr. Smith is a licensed clinical social worker, licensed clinical addictions specialist, and certified clinical supervisor with over 35 years' experience. He has remained passionate about his profession! Mr. Smith has worked in a variety of settings, including hospitals, private practice, and group homes. Mr. Smith currently serves as the Clinical Coordinator for Behavioral Health Care at Cape Fear Valley Hospital in Fayetteville, where he has worked since 2006. Although Mr. Smith still enjoys direct practice, he derives most of his satisfaction at this stage of his career in mentoring and supervising social workers and clinical addictions professionals as well as graduate students. Mr. Smith enjoys passing on what he has learned to others!
- MSW, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- BA, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- Master of Theological Studies, Nations University, Nashville, TN
- "Serving the Sandwich Generation: Working with Adult Children of Aging Parents." Journal of Independent Social Work. Vol. 3, No. 3, 1989 (Haworth Press)
- "How Therapists Can Deal with and Learn from Mistakes." Journal of Psychology and Christianity. Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 76-83, Spring 1994.
- "Sexual Addiction: Diagnosis and Treatment Strategies for the Christian Social Worker." Social Work and Christianity Journal. Vol.22, No. 1, 1995.
- Wrote chapter entitled, "A Day in the Life of a Partial Hospitalization Coordinator" for the book, Days in the Lives of Social Workers. Linda Grobman, editor. White Hat Communications, 1999.
- "Chronic Pain and Substance Abuse", 3-hour workshop presented at annual meeting of the North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board, Raleigh, NC, March 2017.
- "Christian Social Work Approaches to Substance Use and Co-occurring Disorders." 3-hour workshop presented at the national convention of the North American Association of Christians in Social Work (NACSW), Charlotte, NC, November 2017.
- "Motivational Interviewing" Workshop and online CEU training for NACSW, 2012.
- North American Association of Christians in Social Work
- Toastmasters International (Sanford, NC club)
- Named "Trainer of the Year" for the Cumberland County Crisis Intervention Team, 2018.