TRIO Upward Bound
We provide support that will enhance academic skills to help high school students with achieving the goal of going to college by helping them prepare for, apply to, pay for and enroll into college. TRIO Upward Bound has a strong track record of motivating low-income and first-generation students with realizing the dream of going to college.
TRIO Upward Bound
Why Join TRIO Upward Bound
As the first national college access program, we have a strong track record of motivating low-income and first-generation students to go to college. There is no cost for any services provided by TRIO Upward Bound. Two of the greatest benefits of Upward Bound is our rigorous academic environment in addition to the opportunity for cultural enrichment . Our TRIO Upward Bound scholars attend play/musical productions as well as visit historical and cultural sites. In addition to this, you will have opportunities that support you with not only school success but exposure to college opportunities throughout the nation. As an Upward Bound Scholar, you will have the opportunity to come on the campus of Fayetteville State University on a bi-weekly basis to attend our Saturday Academy. Our special Saturday Academy supports and enhances your math, science and English skill sets. Our Scholars also participate in a summer program where you have the opportunity to experience college living for six (6) weeks.
- Academic instruction in math through pre-calculus, English, Spanish, and science.
- Tutorial services in English, science, Spanish, math, and other high school courses.
- Guidance on secondary school reentry and entry into programs of post-secondary education.
- Academic advice and assistance in secondary school course selection.
- Personal, academic, educational, financial, social and career counseling.
- Exposure to a variety of colleges and universities, academic programs, as well as cultural events and other activities not usually available to disadvantaged youth.
- Mentor programs involving FSU faculty, staff and students.
- Supplementary academic skills workshops such as study skills, note taking and test taking skills.
- Exposure to careers in which disadvantaged individuals are particularly under-represented.
- Orientation workshops for parents and guardians.
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications.
- Assistance in preparing for the SAT and ACT.
TRIO Upward Bound is a rigorous college preparatory program. Therefore, students are expected to make a serious commitment to both school success and pursuing a college education. Consider applying to the program if you:
- Are in at least the 9th grade (students in the 8th grade may apply for admission but will not be admitted until they receive their final 8th grade report card)
- Attend one of the target high schools
- Are a potential first generation college students and/or a student who receives free/reduced lunch.
- Plan on continuing your education after high school at a four-year college
- Are willing to participate in all aspects of the Upward Bound Program
- E.E. Smith High School
- Douglas Byrd High School
- Hoke County High School
- Westover High School
- Senior Success Guide
- Program Service Guide
The Fayetteville State University Upward Bound Program is funded from 2017-2022 entirely from the U.S. Department of Education in the amount of $301,018 annually.