Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Advisement and Transfer

FSU HomeAdvisementAcademic Success PlanAcademic Success FAQ

Academic Success FAQ

  • How will I know if I’m in academic difficulty?
    Students who earn a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.0 for the fall semester will be placed on “Academic Warning.”  In the spring semester, students who earn less than a cumulative GPA of a 2.0 will be placed on Academic Suspension. Academic actions can be found in your electronic transcript at the end of each grading period.
  • Who should I talk to about improving my academic status?
    Students should discuss strategies for improving their GPA with their academic advisor.
  • What is the minimum GPA to declare a major?
    In most departments the minimum GPA is 2.0; in the School of Education the minimum GPA is 2.5.
  • Who do I go to for advisement if my GPA is below 2.0 and I can not declare a major?
    Your University Studies Advisor.
  • Where can I find out about tutoring for one of my classes?
    The instructor or the department chair of the class may be able to provide you with information on tutoring for the class. Students may also find academic support in the Learning Center (Math- HTC 216C, Writing- HTC 001B, SI- HTC 001A) for some classes.
  • I have a registration hold on my account, where can I go to find out more about the hold?
    Use Banner to look up your hold, then call the department the hold is with for more information.
  • Where can I find a GPA calculator?
    On Registrar's Office website
  • I have 90 earned hours; how can I find out how close I am to completing my degree?
    You can request an official audit from the registrar’s office by going to: and click on Undergraduate Graduation Audit complete the form and click submit.  See your advisor for more details.
  • How do I apply for graduation?
    You may apply for graduation after you have ninety (90) earned credits. The graduation application fee is $50. You can pick up an application for graduation from your department chair or the Registrar's website.
  • If I repeat a course, will it be counted twice towards my degree completion?
    No, repeats without penalty can only be counted one time towards degree completion.
  • I have been out of school for a while, how does Academic Fresh Start work?
    You must have at least two years or 4 semesters of non-enrollment at FSU. Under the “Fresh Start” policy, all credits earned at Fayetteville State University prior to the date of enrollment will be treated as transfer credits; courses with a grade of “C” or higher will be used to fulfill degree requirements. Academic Fresh Start does not eliminate attempted hours from a student’s record, and hence, hours covered by academic fresh start will be used in determining whether a student must pay the tuition surcharge.
  • I only have a 2.0 GPA and am starting my Junior Year. Can I get into the School of Education?
    The minimum requirement is 2.50 for admission to education majors. Although you can keep taking courses until you get your GPA up, you should calculate how long that would take and make an informed decision about whether to apply to this major or select another one.
  • What is the maximum number of hours in which I may enroll each semester?
    The maximum number of credit hours permitted in a semester is 18, if you are not in academic difficulty. Students on probation may not enroll in more than 14 credit hours, while students with cumulative GPAs of 3.0 or higher are permitted to enroll in a maximum of 21 hours.
  • How can I enroll in closed classes? 
    During the designated registration time, a student may get permission from the instructor to enroll in a closed class.
  • Can I take courses at another school and transfer the credits to FSU?
    Students who submit a request using the Pursing Courses at Other Instituions Form to the department chair may be permitted to take courses at another school. In order for course credits to be accepted, you must earn a C grade or higher. Transfer grades will not be used in the computation of your cumulative GPA.
  • When should I declare a major? 
    First-time freshmen are required to complete the on-line Declaration of Major form during the second semester of their freshman year. Transfer students must declare a major in the first semester of their enrollment.
  • How can I declare a major?
    To declare a major you must complete the on-line Declaration of Major form found on FSU's homepage, Click on the link for Current Students then Declare/Change Major (under Administrative Services) and follow the simple directions for completing the form.
  • How do I clear an "I" grade from my transcript?
    You must seek assistance from the instructor who gave you the "I" grade before the end of the first nine weeks of the next regular semester.
  • What does it mean to repeat a course without penalty?
    You may repeat up to five courses, once each, and only the higher grade will be calculated into your GPA. However, you must complete a "course repeat" from signed by your advisor and submitted to the Registrar's Office in order to start this process.

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina