Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Department of Communication, Languages and Cultures

FSU HomeCLCDepartmental FAQ

Department FAQ

Got a question for us? Check below for common questions and answers:

Contact us for more information
What career can I expect if I receive a Bachelor’s degree in Communication?

There is a wide range of jobs for which communication majors are prepared. Some of these jobs include the following: producers and writers for television; producers and writers for national or local television; news photographers; journalists for print, electronic, and online publications; PR and advertising specialists; crisis specialists; health communication consultants; event and meeting management; social media coordinators; community relations professionals; human resources, speechwriters, educators, and more.

What career can I expect if I receive a Bachelor’s degree in Spanish?

Students majoring in Spanish are prepared for many professions, including the following: Translators, Court Interpreter, Cross-cultural trainer, Educator, Foreign Correspondent, Foreign Embassy Staff, Foreign News Editor, Immigration Officer, International Business, Linguist, Museum Curator, Travel Agent, Tour Guide, Intelligence Specialist, International Publishing, Librarian, and more.

Can I transfer major courses from my last institution?

When students transfer to FSU, a comprehensive transfer evaluation will be completed and all general education and major courses will be evaluated for equivalency. We do our best to give full credit for your previous academic work. Please remember that only grades of C or better will transfer. 

How do I know what courses to take and when to take them?

The department offers the services of a professional academic adviser who can help students plan their courses and a pathway to graduation. Students will have the benefit of their undergraduate catalog, which will detail all of the requirements of the university and specific major, and the courses for each semester are posted online usually months before registration begins so that students can plan early. The Department also offers a two-year rotation plan and four year degree completion plans for both Communication and Spanish majors. 

What academic support is available?

The campus provides math and writing tutoring, and some classes may provide supplementary instructors for additional help. All faculty are required to maintain 8 office hours each week, and students are encouraged to visit often. 

What is the average time for graduation?

We do our best as faculty, advisors, and mentors to guide students though the degree program in four years. Students should be taking at least 15 credit hours each semester and remain in good standing with the university to matriculate on time. Taking courses during the Summer months is a great way to either catch up or get ahead. 

How many credit hours do I need to complete the program?

We offer a Bachelor's of Arts in Communication, a Bachelor's of Arts in Spanish, and a Bachelor's of Arts in Spanish with Teaching Licensure (K-12), for which you need to complete 120 credit hours. We also offer minors in Communication, Spanish, and Chinese Language & Culture, for which you need 18 credit hours. For more information please visit our web page or the FSU Undergraduate Catalog. 

Do you offer critical and uncommonly spoken languages?

Yes. In addition to our Spanish and Chinese course, we offer classes in French and Yoruba, and are always looking for ways to expand our offerings. 

How can I immerse myself in a language and/or culture?

Visit the Language Lab (located in Butler Building, Room 386) for self-paced practice with language software. Enroll in a study abroad program in the summer to expand your experience and experience the language and culture firsthand. If you are majoring in Spanish, or taking Spanish courses, you should consider the Hispanic Club and the Spanish Honors Society. 

What facilities do you have to support majors in pursuing their degrees?

Our students have the opportunity to work in a top-tier, fully-equipped TV studio, a computer lab equipped with the latest audio and video editing software, state-of-the-art Internet radio station, equipment, four separate production rooms, and two language labs where students can engage in learning using foreign language learning software.

Is it necessary to get an advanced degree in communication?

Students who receive a Bachelor's degree in communication can apply to a wide array of jobs. An advanced degree (MA, MFA, PhD, or EdD) offers students access to more specialized positions and can make a significant different in salary over a person's lifetime. The faculty routinely assist students applying for graduate programs.

Will I have a chance to land internships with company in this area?

Yes. We have agreements and prior experience working with a variety of businesses in the area. The Communication program requires that students complete at least one internship before they graduate. Our students routinely work on internships on- and off-campus, however, only students with GPAs that are higher than 3.0 have the opportunity to go off-campus. 

Do you offer online courses?

Most of our classes provide face-to-face instruction, but the Communication program regularly offers a few online elective courses each semester. Language students may take some of their courses through the UNC Language Exchange, which is an online, distance education network. 

How much emphasis is placed on practical experience?

A significant number of our courses provide practical hands-on experience. We also offer service learning courses, internship courses, and independent study courses. Communication majors must complete at least one internship course before graduation, and may enroll in a second internship course as one of their required electives. Many of our courses encourage students to take advantage of our campus media to showcase their newly acquired skills and knowledge. Spanish majors with the Teaching Licensure option will have opportunities to teach in a classroom. 

What is the student-instructor ratio?

The majority of our classes in Communication are capped at 40, but enrollment is typically 10-30 in each course depending on whether it is an elective or required core major course. Language courses are usually much smaller. 

Does your department offer a study abroad program?

The Department organized a study abroad programs recently to Spain, and FSU has provided other opportunities for study abroad, such as to China and England. These programs are approved only after receiving a number of confirmed participants. When there is such demand, we have faculty who are ready and able to lead such trips. 

Do you offer Summer courses?

The Communication program will typically offer just a few electives during the Summer terms. Most of the emphasis during the Summer is on offering the SPEE200: Intro to Speech course. A few beginning language courses are offered during the Summer as well. 

Can I transfer major courses from my last institution?

When students transfer to FSU, a comprehensive transfer evaluation will be completed and all general education and major courses will be evaluated for equivalency. We do our best to give full credit for your previous academic work. Please remember that only grades of C or better will transfer. 

What scholarships are available in the department?

The Communication program gives out two $500 fellowships each academic year to Communication majors who have high GPAs and are actively involved in one of our departmental student organizations. Bronco-iRadio recently gave out its first scholarships to dedicated student volunteers. The Spanish program is working on developing its own scholarship for the future. 

Who is my Professional Advisor?

Our Departmental Professional Advisor is Mrs. Sarah Calhoun

(Telecommunications Building, Room 209;; 910-672-1605)

How do I declare my major?

Once you have been accepted to the university by Admissions, students can, at any time, declare their major. Students can head to the Registrar's website, click the student tab, and declare their major at the top of the page. Once they have declared their major, an email is generated to the Department Chair to accept you into the program and then another email is generated to the Professional Advisor, who will reach out to you for an appointment. You may also come into the Department for help with this process at any time. The earlier a student declares the major, the better because we can help you create a graduation plan early so that you don't take courses you don't need. 

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina