Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Department of English

FSU HomeEnglishFAQs


Department Administration 

Dr. Ji Young Kim
Interim Chair

Ms. Vickie Bannon
Admin. Support Associate

G.L. Butler Building, Suite 123 

1200 Murchison Road

Fayetteville, NC 28301

Hours: M-F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm 

Phone: (910) 672-1416

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently Asked Questions 

What degrees does the department offer?

B.A. in English Language and Literature (120 hours)
B.A. in English, Teaching Licensure Concentration/Secondary Education (120 hours)
See degree requirements and course descriptions on the department's website.

What minors the does department offer?

A flexible 18-hour minor in English
A new 18-hour minor in Writing
A new 180-hour minor in Teaching of English as a Second Language

Is there a pre-law major?

No. But the Law School Admissions Council calls English-which develops reading, writing, research and analytical skills-one of the best majors to get into law school. The English Department offers a course in legal writing and a one in legal studies that prepares students for the LSAT and produces personal statements for law school applications.

How can I make the most of an English major?

Participate in English Matters Colloquiums and the Senior Seminar symposium, contribute to Conjure literary journal, and apply for departmental internships.

What careers can English majors pursue?

The English major is versatile. With a degree in English, you can do just about anything. Our department's graduates go on to law school and graduate school and work in such fields as teaching, editing, technical writing, publishing, public relations, advertising, finance, sales, marketing, and in the arts, government and nonprofit sector. Many highly successful people were English majors, including  movie directors James Cameron and Steven Spielberg, actors Vin Diesel, Matt Damon, Reese Witherspoon and James Franco, late New York governor Mario Cuomo and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

How do I major or minor in English?

Choose your major or minor on Banner.

What graduate certificates does the department offer?

The Department of English offers graduate certificates in Professional Writing, Teaching of Writing, and Teaching English as a Second Language add-on licensure. For more information, see the questions and answers below.

  1. When and where do courses meet? All writing certificate courses are online. Courses are offered during the fall, spring and summer.
  2. Do I have to apply to the University? Yes. Apply through Admissions.
  3. Is the Graduate Record Exam required? No
  4. When is the application deadline? Applications are reviewed and students are admitted year-round. Apply through Admissions.
  5. Are transfer credits accepted? No, not for certificate programs.
  6. May I earn multiple certificates? Yes, but the credit hours for each course may count toward only one certificate. Double-dipping is not allowed, and course substitutions may be needed.

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina