Student Grievance and Appeal Procedures

Written Complaint Procedure

At Fayetteville State University, we recognize our students as the primary customers for all of the services that we offer, from classroom instruction to personal counseling to computer labs. When an area of the university needs improvement or change to better serve the needs of our students, we appreciate hearing from them.
As a first step, students are encouraged to discuss their complaints directly with the person responsible for the area or problem. If the issue is not or cannot be addressed through discussion with the responsible person and if there are no methods prescribed for appeal in the applicable area in University Catalog, Student Handbook, or other official University documents, then the issue should be outlined in writing and submitted to the following offices in the order indicated:

Academic Complaints:

  1. Department Chair
  2. Dean of the School/College
  3. Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

Non-Academic Complaints:

  1. Department or Office Director
  2. Vice Chancellor of the Division to which the Department or Office reports

Each office listed above will respond to the student within 10 working days of receipt of the written suggestion or complaint. If the issue is not satisfactorily resolved at the first level, the student should submit his/her request to the next highest level. If the issue remains unresolved at the highest level indicated above, the student(s) should appeal to the Office of the Chancellor.

Other complaint options are available by clicking here.

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

If a complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the institution's grievance procedure, the student may file a complaint with the following office:

North Caroline Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina Systems Office 
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

For more information, call (919) 962-4550 or send an email to:

The student may contact UNC Systems Office  for further details.