Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Purchasing - Division of Business and Finance

FSU HomeFSUBOPurchasingGeneral Purchasing InformationUnique Purchase Items

Unique Purchase Items

Purchases of Food Items, Refreshments, Sundries, etc.

Food items; refreshments (coffee, donuts, drinks, etc.); and sundries may not be purchased using State funds. Such purchases may, however, be allowed under certain explicit grants, contracts, trust funds, or discretionary accounts, providing the funding agency will not disallow the expenditure.

A. Purchase of Radioisotopes

 Any possession and use of radioactive sources in excess of exempt quantities must be authorized under license to the university by the State of North Carolina in agreement with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The university would be required to provide assurance under such a license that all radioactive materials are obtained, used, and disposed of in accordance with license specifications.

Accordingly, all initial requests for radioactive materials are to be made on a purchase requisition and forwarded to the Purchasing Department for placement of the purchase order, provided all licensing requirements have been met.

B. Purchase of Controlled Substances

The possession and use of controlled substances (drugs having no accepted medical use or drugs having potential for abuse) are governed by the Federal Controlled Substances Act of 1970. This law requires every person who manufactures, distributes, prescribes, administers, or dispenses any controlled substance or who proposes to engage in any activity utilizing controlled substances to register annually with the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.

Any purchase of a controlled substance must be done by the university designee (usually the Director of Health Services) who is registered with the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. Purchase of controlled substances will be for clinic/infirmary use only. This registration cannot be used to purchase controlled substances for instructional purposes or research. Practitioners and individuals within teaching institutions desiring to conduct research or otherwise handle controlled substances must obtain individual registrations from the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.

Purchase of controlled substances cannot be made by or for the university without such proper registration.

C. Purchase of Industrial Alcohol

The Department of Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) regulates the tax-free purchase of industrial alcohol and specifically denatured spirits. Such purchases may only be made for these items upon receipt of the ATF's approval as documented by the ATF issuance of an "Industrial Alcohol User Permit" (ATF Form 5150.9). Upon issuance of the ATF permit number, the university may withdraw and use alcohol tax free on a continuing basis and will remain in force until suspended, revoked, or terminated.

Associated with the issuance of this permit are the requirements to:

  • Maintain records and file periodic reports as required by federal regulations.
  • Pay the $250 Special Occupational Tax (a tax on the use of alcohol and not itself) on an annual basis.
  • Post the permit in the authorized and approved place of storage.


A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina