Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Community and Government Affairs

FSU HomeGovandcommunityPolitical ActivitySpecial Student Issues

Special Student Issues

  • Advocacy Guidelines
  • Speak on behalf of the University regarding any issue at the local, state, or federal level.
  • Use the following state property equipment to advocate for our agenda:
    • Fax machine
    • Phones in state offices
    • Copy machines
    • Purchase items and/or refreshments, etc.
    • State cars (or charge mileage)
    • Office supplies (paper, pens, staples, etc.)
    • E-mail
    • State facilities
  • Advocate – Webster’s definition puts it best: “one who pleads in favor of.”
  • Disseminate information including:
    • Legislation that has been introduced in the state legislature that impacts our campus (state and local).
    • Names, addresses, phone numbers of state legislators.
    • Pending legislation and its status; i.e., house or senate subcommittee, etc.
    • Fact sheets on the proposed legislation.
    • Committee hearing schedules.
    • A compilation of who voted for and against.

Prior to visits to the state legislature, legislative offices, Congress or congressional offices, please be sure to contact Student Affairs and/or the the Director of Government and Community Affairs.  We can provide you with guidelines and talking points on issues of importance to this campus.

  • Political campaign activities on campus (Voter Registration Drives, Candidate Forums)

The activity must be sponsored or hosted by registered student organizations and all expenses related to the activity, if any, are borne by the candidate, political organizations or student organizations. 

University facilities may be rented for political events per campus policy on use of university premises and facilities. Such sponsored events may not be subsidized or supported by the university. 

Anyone who wishes to endorse a candidate may do so at the university’s free speech zone – located in front of the Rudolph Jones Student Center.

Qualifications to register to vote in North Carolina

To register to vote in this State, a person must sign a voter declaration attesting that:

  • I am a U.S. citizen.
  • I will have been a resident of North Carolina and this county for 30 days before the election.
  • I will be at least 18 years old by the next general election.
  • I am not registered nor will I vote in any other county or state.
  • If I have been convicted of a felony, my rights of citizenship have been restored. 

If you live off-campus Seabrook Park may not be your voting precinct.  In order to ensure that your precinct will be Seabrook Park, you should use your campus post office box as your address of record.

If you have registered to vote in your home county, you cannot cast your ballot in Cumberland County on Election Day.  You must vote in your home county.

If you are an out-of-state student AND you have registered to vote in your home state, North Carolina absentee ballot deadlines do no apply to you. You must adhere to absentee ballot deadlines in your home state.

Click here for a link to voter information for all 50 states.

Resources for Engagement:


A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina