Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

International Education

FSU HomeInternational EducationInternational StudentsInternational Student GuideTravel Abroad

Travel Abroad

While enrolled at Fayetteville State University, you and your dependents can travel outside the United States.
If you elect to travel abroad, you must have a valid passport. In addition to the passport, you must also have a properly endorsed I-20 or DS-2019 to reenter the United States. Please note that since the events of September 11, 2001, a signature is required every six (6) months for re-admission to the United States.

In order to re-enter the United States, you must have a valid visa. The exception to this policy is as follows: Expired F and J visas can be automatically re-validated for return to the United States after travel to Canada, Mexico, or any other Caribbean island (with the exception of Cuba) if your visit is for less than thirty (30 days). Please note that this exception is not available to citizens from all countries. Please check with the international student advisor to make sure that you are eligible to travel before finalizing your travel plans.
If you are planning to visit a country other than your country of origin be advised that the country may also require you to obtain a visa from its consulate or embassy before traveling there. You can contact the country’s consulate here in the United States. The international student advisor can help you secure this information and apply for a visa to another country.

As a result of the events of September 11, 2001, it is advisable that you carry the following information with you when traveling outside of the United States.

  • Transcript – official or unofficial issued by Fayetteville States Registrar’s Office.
  • Copy of your registration record for the next semester.
  • Letter verifying that you are currently enrolled at the university and are in good academic standing.
A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina