Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Freshman Orientation

FSU HomeOrientationFAQ

FSU Orientation Frequently Asked Questions

Useful Links:
2016 Housing Students What To Bring [PDF]

When is Freshman Orientation and Welcome Week?
August 12 -19, 2017

Am I required to attend Freshman Orientation?
Fayetteville State University expects all new incoming students to attend Orientation. It is a time for students to get better acquainted with the University and its customs and traditions.

How do I register for Orientation?
Registration is done during First Steps. Please visit the University College website for First Steps dates.

What business will I take care of during Orientation?
You will get your student ID, take your yearbook picture and handle all financial and immunization matters. Mandatory sessions will occur with your designated Orientation group.

What is an Orientation Leader?
An Orientation Leader (OL) is a returning FSU student who has been trained on campus resources and traditions. Your OL will guide you around campus and answer any questions or concerns you may have during you first week at FSU.

What will I do at Orientation?
During Orientation you will participate in workshops and sessions regarding the University that will help prepare you for your collegiate experence. You will have the opportunity to build relationships with students, faculty and staff. You will also take placement exams and pick up your textbooks. In addition, the week is full of interactive programs and  activities! 

Can I check-in early?
No. Pay close attention to your specific check-in time (late check-in may result in your room assignment being forfeited).  

Where do I park during Orientation?
No parking tickets will be issued on Saturday, August 12, 2017 as long as you are parked legally). Click Here For More Information

If I cannot attend Orientation are there other options?

What do I do if I have to work?
Please make arrangements with your employer. We can provide documentation that you attended or plan to attend Orientation.

What if I’m a commuting student?
The Orientation is the same for Commuter Students. For addittional help Contact the Commuter and Adult Student Learner Services Office at (910) 672-2307.

Will child care be provided?

What should I wear to Orientation?
Dress comfortably as activities will be conducted indoors and outdoors. Please bring attire suitable for each day’s activities. Don't forget to pack some Bronco Blue! Professional black and white attire is required for the Pinning Ceremony. Additional items you may wish to bring include an umbrella, sunglasses, and sunscreen.

Do my parents have to attend Orientation?
We will offer a parent orientation separate from freshman orientation. Otherwise, you may “catch up” at mealtime.

What should I bring to the Orientation Check-In?
All financial paperwork needed to complete your Financial Aid packet, immunization records and completed medical forms, a copy of your high school transcript, and a notebook and pen.

Do you offer special accommodations for disabled individuals?
If you have special needs or accommodations, please notify the Center for Personal Development at (910) 672-1222 at least two weeks prior to your arrival.

What do I do if I don't get along my roommate?
It's normal to worry about getting along with your future roommate, but know that the vast majority of students enjoy their roommate.  Conflicts can and will occur, but do know they can be resolved.     First, discuss the issue with your roommate in an honest and non-threatening tone and ask if you can work together to resolve the issue.  The majority of roommate conflicts can be resolved in this manner. If you have done this and the conflict remains, talk to your RA to see if he or she can help you work things out. RAs are trained to help mediate roommate conflicts, and a third person perspective is often helpful.  If you still cannot resolve the conflict, you may need to talk to the Hall Director and put in a formal room change request.  This could take three to four weeks and is dependent on the number of rooms available.

May I have a car on campus?
No first-time freshman living in a university residence hall shall be permitted to maintain a vehicle on campus. This category of freshmen shall not be issued parking permits by the university's Police Department. Students with conditions that may require an exception to this policy (such as serious medical conditions) may file a hardship petition with the Division of Student Affairs. The petition should be filed immediately after the student is admitted to the university or as soon as the hardship condition is determined. The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs will issue a response to approve or deny the petition within twenty (20) business days of receipt of the request.   Any violation of this policy may result in the revocation of parking privileges for the student's sophomore year.  

How can I get around without my car? The Division of Student Affairs at FSU have a partnership with the City of Fayetteville to provide FSU students with Fayetteville Area System of Transit (FAST) services. FSU students' FAST privileges are effective immediately; all a student has to do to take advantage of their privileges is to show the bus driver their semester FSU FAST bus pass, and their valid student identification card to exercise their privilege. To obtain the free pass, students can visit the Office of Student Engagement. Students must present their valid FSU student identification card and provide their FSU student banner identification number. Passes are good for one academic semester and cannot be transferred. Students are eligible to receive one free FSU student semester FAST bus pass per semester. Students are subject to FAST protocol and procedures while utilizing the services.

For more information referencing the FSU-City of Fayetteville NC/FAST agreement, please contact the Office of Student Engagement at (910) 672-1166.    

How do I get involved on campus? Freshmen are encouraged to visit the Office of Student Engagement to learn more about getting involved on campus. Student Elections for freshmen take place a few weeks after orientation in order to give new students an opportunity to get involved with student leadership. In addition the Student Government Association also hosts an annual organization fair where many campus organizations host informational booths to inform students about their organizations. Also, check out Bronco Advantage for a list of campus organizations; flyers located on bulletin boards around campus and in the residence halls are a great source of information as well.  Another good tip is asking your roommate and friends what they are involved in-if it interests you too, join them at a meeting.  

Is anyone going to make sure that my child doesn't drink, does his or her homework, etc.? Homework, bed times, and activities that a student might choose to engage in are the student's responsibilities. There will, however, be Resident Assistants (RAs) on each hall to ensure that the rules of the residence halls are not being compromised and assist students if they ask for help.  

Will the residence halls be too loud for my son or daughter to study?  Each residence hall has quiet hours for their floors from 10:00 pm to 8:00 am, which residence assistance help enforce.  Residence halls are equipped with study rooms for use by students living in that hall.  Several academic buildings on campus also have study areas; the Chesnutt Library, in particular, has many study rooms for students to use, many of them large enough to host small group study sessions. Chesnutt Library is open until 12:00 p.m. from Sunday to Thursday during the week (until 6:00 pm on Fridays and Saturdays) and has special late hours during finals weeks.

Are guests allowed in the residence halls? Yes.  All guests must be approved by all residents of the room and/or suite. Guests must check-in with the RA's at the front desk. All guests must follow university and residence life policies while visiting.  For more information on visitation policies please review the "Guide to Residential Living" provided by FSU's Residence Life at

What are the meal options at FSU? Students may choose meal plans offered by Aramark, FSU's dining partner. Student may use their meal plans by swiping their Bronco ID cards at the Student Center Cafe, Bronco Grill, C3 Convenience Store, and Eco-grounds on campus. There are also commuter meal plans available through Aramark as well. For more information on FSU's dining services please visit: 

What can my child do if he or she becomes sick? We recommend that students visit Student Health Services located in the Spaulding building on campus.  Student Health Services strives to promote and maintain conditions that are conducive for healthy living, guide and encourage students to accept health as a positive value of life, and stimulate an interest in students to make healthy choices.  SHS works to assist students in developing a solid foundation for healthy lifestyles practices to improve current and future health outcomes. Please note that Fayetteville State University requires each student to have accident and sickness insurance protection either by their personal policy or under the Student Insurance Plan (Student Blue). Available services include: ·       Acute Medical Care ·       GYN, PAP Smear ·       HIV/STI Testing ·       Breast Exams ·       Laboratory ·       Contraceptives ·       Pharmacy For more information on Student Health Services please visit:  

How safe is my son or daughter on campus?
Fayetteville State University offers a multitude of safety services and features to students.  These services/features include: ·       Residence Halls o   electronic card access system that allows only those living in a particular residence hall (and in some cases floor) may enter o   front desk of each hall is staffed twenty-four hours a day o   residents' guests are to be registered at the front desk o   residents are encouraged to secure their room or apartment even when occupied ·       Campus o   Fayetteville police officers maintain a presence on campus in the Fayetteville State Substation and through regular patrols of campus o   FSU has additional campus safety officers through our Department of Safety and Transportation o   Emergency safety  boxes are scattered throughout campus and are patched directly to our safety office o   Cameras survey many areas of campus, including our parking lots o   Pathways at night are well lit

Without common sense and taking precautions and responsibility, all the safety features in the world won't keep individuals safe.  Encourage students to take an active role in being safe by: ·       not going out alone or letting others know where they are going ·       not  going to areas that are not well lit ·       not going out too late at night ·       including emergency contacts in their cell phone ·       carrying enough cash for a taxi ·       and more... If there is a campus emergency students can be notified via FSU emergency broadcast system that will alert students of the emergency via text message, email, phone call as well as through the campus loudspeaker system. In the event of any campus emergency, students can call 910-672-1911 for immediate assistance. For more information on campus safety please visit:  

Is Fayetteville State University a dry campus? Fayetteville State University's ("University) intent is to regulate the serving, possession, consumption, and sale of alcoholic beverages in compliance with applicable North Carolina General Statutes and local ordinances. Except as otherwise permitted by this Policy, the serving, possession, consumption, or sale of alcoholic beverages on University owned or leased property, including vehicular areas, sidewalks and public right-of-ways, is prohibited. Only the Chancellor has the authority to grant exceptions to this Policy on occasion upon his or her discretion.  

Is Wireless Internet available for my students? Network Services provides over-the-air (wireless) access to the FSU computing network and the Internet; data is transmitted over radio waves between your computer and special access points (AP's). All members of the FSU community, including students, faculty, staff, and other affiliates, as well as visitors, may use the Fayetteville State University wireless network. All faculty, staff, students, and visitors conducting non-university business must connect to the FSU-WiFi SSID, and follow the on-screen instructions to get connected. However, faculty and staff conducting university business via wireless must connect to the FSU-SECURE SSID using their FSU network credentials.  To learn more about your access your campus email and student network please click here.

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina