Return to the Fayetteville State University Home Page

Department of Psychology

FSU HomePsychologyGraduate ProgramApplication - Counseling TrackFAQ Counseling

Contact Us

Laura Coyle, Ph.D., Coordinator of the Graduate Counseling Psychology Program
Assistant Professor and Licensed Psychologist
Department of Psychology
Fayetteville State University
1200 Murchison Road
Fayetteville, NC 28301-4298
Voice Mail: 10.672.2023

Back to Application - Counseling Track

FAQ Counseling

Frequently Asked Questions - Counseling Psychology

Q: What are the Psychology Program-Counseling track application requirements?

A: The Counseling track admission requirements are:

  • Completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
  • FSU graduate program application form
  • Supplemental Application-Personal Statement
  • Official transcripts: A minimum 2.6 GPA on a 4.0 scale in all undergraduate work or a 3.0 in the last 60 hours completed.
  • Twelve (12) credit hours of undergraduate coursework in Psychology including General Psychology, Statistics, Research Methods in Psychology, and one additional substantive course in psychology. (Preferable abnormal psychology, developmental psychology, introduction to clinical and counseling psychology, or multicultural psychology).
  • A score on the Graduate Record Examination General Section (GRE).
  • Two (2) forms of recommendation.
  • A current resume reflecting any paid and/or volunteer experience is required.

Q: What is the program admission application deadline?

A:  The Counseling track admission application deadline is March 15th (fall admission) and October 15th (Spring admission). Application may be accepted after the deadline on case by case basis.

Q:  Is there an admission application fee?

A:  Yes. The current application fee is $40.00.

Q: Is the GRE required?

A: Yes, the GRE general test is required, and the university must receive the official GRE scores before the admission application deadline. The GMAT and the MAT are not accepted.

Q: Must I submit official copies of my college transcripts?

A: Yes, students must submit official transcripts from all the college or university attended.

Q: Can I complete the program on a part time basis?

A: Yes, the counseling track can be completed on a part-time basis.  Students must contact the program coordinator to specify their desire to attend the track on part-time basis.

Q: If my application is missing any documents, will the university notify me and give me an opportunity to submit documents.

A: It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the university has received all required documents to complete your application. All application materials must be submitted and postmarked by the counseling program application deadline.

Q: When will I be notified regarding my admission application?

A:  The Counseling Track Admissions Committee will make every effort to notify applicants of the decision by April 15th (fall admission) and November 15th (spring admission).

Q: When are the Counseling Track courses offered?

A: Most of the Counseling track courses are offered during the evenings on weekdays. Some courses may be offered in a hybrid format (a combination of face-to-face and online instruction).

Q: Do I have to complete an internship?

A: All Counseling Track students must successfully complete two field trainings: a practicum (100 hours) and an internship (600 hours).

Q: When do I complete my field placement internship?

A: Student interns are required to work in their field placement agencies during weekdays. The practicum placement requires students be in placement two days a week. Students must complete no less than 100 hours of supervised clinical work. Students in internship placements work five days a week (full time) and must complete no less than 600 hours of supervised clinical work.

Q: Is financial aid available?

A: All students are encouraged to apply for financial assistance. Financial assistance may be available through the Financial Aid Office (910-672-1423) and Graduate Assistantships through the CAS Graduate Studies office (910-672-1259).  

A Constituent Institution of The University of North Carolina