International Students and Visiting Scholars
Fayetteville State University (FSU) is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina (UNC) System and offers world-class academics and an engaging campus life. Situated in Southeastern North Carolina, it is within driving distance from the Atlantic coast to the east and the Great Smoky mountains to the west.
FSU offers high quality and nationally recognized academic programs. FSU has 43 undergraduate programs, 23 master's degree programs, and one doctoral program. Programs vary in areas of arts and sciences, business, and education with degree programs in forensic science, management, computer science, accounting and more. FSU also offers 3+2 programs in STEM and engineering.
International students must have a minimum TOEFL score of 6 (iB) or IELTS score of 6 to begin courses toward a degree.
FSU provides a nurturing and supportive learning environment. With small class sizes on average 19 students per faculty, students have an opportunity to regularly interact with instructors. Students can engage in research and internship opportunities. A national study, cited FSU as "a remarkably nurturing and supportive institution that takes seriously its responsibility for total 'personal development.'"
FSU has excellent facilities and safe environment. FSU offers all of the advantages of a large university while maintaining the atmosphere of a closely-knit liberal arts campus. Residence halls are modern and well equipped. The university has one of the lowest crime rates of any institution in the UNC system. FSU provides personalized service to international students from airport pick-up on arrival to providing host families in the community, chaperoned outings to area attractions and such.FSU is affordable. A study by Lumina Foundation of 2,800 colleges and universities identified FSU as one of the most affordable four-year public institutions in the U.S.
International Undergraduate Admission Requirements:
1. A completed undergraduate application form with a non-refundable $50 application fee in U.S. dollars.
2. International Student Certification of Finances (To be filled out by your bank). This form can be hand delivered or mailed but must be the original.
3. Original copies of your high school and undergraduate transcripts (If you have an Associate degree or over 24 hours of college hours, it is not required to submit a high school transcript)
All Transcripts must be evaluated by WES at www.wes.org (This is not required for FSU Partner Institution students. FSU partner institution students can submit the Original Certified Transcripts Translated in English by partner university officials.)
4. Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score report is required unless you are from an Official English language speaking country. The test needs to be electronically sent to Fayetteville State University. Our school code is: 5212. The test score report should be no more than two years old and must have a score at or above the minimum set by Fayetteville State University which is 61.
Official IELTS (English for international Opportunity) is now accepted at Fayetteville State scoring 6. If you take the IELTS, please make sure that it is sent to Fayetteville State University Admissions Office. Make sure you take this test on time to meet FSU Admissions deadlines.
International Graduate Admissions Requirements:
These items are needed to complete your Fayetteville State University Admissions Packet.
1. A completed graduate application form with a non-refundable $50 application fee in U.S. dollars.
2. International Student Certification of Finances to be filled out by bank. This form can be hand delivered or mailed but must be the original.
3. Certified copies of your undergraduate transcripts
All Transcripts must be evaluated by WES at www.wes.org - this is not required for FSU Partner Institution students.
Original Certified Transcripts Translated in English by partner university officials.
4. Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score report is required unless you are from an official English Language speaking country. The test needs to be electronically sent to Fayetteville State University. Our school code is: 5212. The test score report should be no more than two years old and must have a score at or above the minimum set by Fayetteville State University,
5. Official IELTS (English for international Opportunity) is now accepted at Fayetteville State also. If you take the IELTS, please make sure that it is sent to Fayetteville State University Admissions Office. Make sure you take this on time to meet FSU Admissions deadlines.
6. Students seeking a Graduate degree must submit an official copy of the test results from taking the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE), Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) - refer to program for specific requirements
7. Two/three Recommendation for Graduate School Forms - Refer to program for specific requirements. All official documents must be issued directly from persons writing the recommendations.
J-1 Application Process
FSU welcomes international visiting scholars and can issue international visiting scholar the Form DS-2019 forJ-1 Visa.
International scholars who wish to visit FSU under the J-1 visa program must be currently working at a foreign university or research institution as a full time employee and must have earned graduate degree in the teaching or research area that he/she will work at FSU.
Requesting Form DS-2019
International scholars who wish to visit FSU under the J-1 visa program begin by securing the support of an appropriate FSU official sponsor -typically a faculty member, department chair, dean, or someone of similar academic standing. The FSU sponsor will work with the International Education Office (IEO) to prepare a recommendation, which must include the following:
J-1 Application for International Scholar/Visitor
- A summary of the visiting scholars' responsibilities while at FSU and an explanation of how the visitor's education and experience make him/her well qualified to carry out these responsibilities
- The international scholar's curriculum vitae or resume
- Photocopy of the biographical page(s) of the scholar's and dependents' passports
- Original documentation of the funds to support the visitor, expressed in U.S. dollars, if the sponsor is an organization other than FSU. If personal funds are shown, a bank statement including the current account balance must be provided with a currency conversion to U.S. dollars.
International scholars will work with the FSU sponsor and the International Education Office (IEO) to ensure that all required documents are accurate and complete. The recommendation must then be approved by the IEO, the chair of the department in which the individual will work, the appropriate dean, and the provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs. If the provost approves the recommendation, he/she will issue a letter inviting the international scholar to serve as a Specialty Faculty Member. This letter will specify the department in which the international scholar will work, the international scholar's responsibilities, the start and end dates of the visit, and other relevant information. The Provost's invitation letter and copies of all above mentioned documents will be transferred to the IEO, and IEO will then issue the Form DS-2019 to the international scholar.