Dr. Daryush Ila
Associate Vice Chancellor for Research
B.S., Physics - Tehran University
M.S., Nuclear Physics - M.I.T.
Ph.D., Condensed Matter Physics - U. Mass Lowell
Office: Lyons Science Annex Building (LSA) 320
Phone: (910) 672-2417
- Element of Materials Science (Graduate)
- Solid State Physics
- Modern Physics
- Statistical and Thermodynamics
- Quantum Physics (Graduate)
- Optical and Electrical Properties of Materials
- Nuclear Physics
- Introductory Physics for STEM
- Surface and Interface Processing at Nanoscale
- Fundamental and applied ion matter interaction
- Thermoelectric properties nanoscale materials (regimented quantum dots)
- Biomaterials and cell/matter interface studies
- NASA Space Act Agreement with FSU
- Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with US Army Medical Command
- Education Partnership Agreement (EPA) with US Army Research Lab
- Mentor Protégé Agreement with several major industries, including ORAU to mentor FSU
- Over $78,000,000 Grants and Contracts as P.D./P.I./P.M.
- Over $80,000,000 Grants and Contracts as Co.I.
- Over $48M of Grants and Contracts are/were from DoDPI/PD of the Alabama NSF-EPSCoR-RII Project, $1,5000,000.
- Over 289 Publications, over 160 presentations and over 68 invited talks
- Built a unique strategic partnerships with Private, Public and Federal sectors (>$140M)
- Build partnership with major Universities for joint R&D
- Eleven Books, two book chapters and Nine Patents filed
- Established Small Business partnering programs (STTR/SBIR, Mentor/Protégé and Training).
- Designed an innovative process for high tech based community and economic development.
- Established the Research Office and restructured the OSRP at the UNCFSU, 2011.
- Science and Technology Roadmap team member, Montgomery, AL.
- Established Strategic plans for High-Tech Economic Development
1. Member of the Board of North Carolina Science, Tecnology and Innovation, appointed byhonorable Pat McCrory, Governor of the State of North Carolina (2015-2019)
2. Member of North Carolina "University Innovation Council", appointed by NC Governor (2015-17)
3. Member of an Independent Assesment Committee appointed by OSD, congressionally mandatedcommittee (2010-2011)
4. Member of the National Academies' Committee of Emerging Research Institutions (2007)
5. Invited for scientific advisor and speaker at the Japanese National Research Institute for Metals(Now Nano-technology) Since 2000 - Most recent Feb. 2006, Dec. 2007 & Dec. 2008
6. Invited for scientific research to the Max-Plank-Institute for Nuclear Physics at Heidelberg,Germany, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, and 1998.
7. Chair of the MRS-GSA and member of Awards Committee of Materials Research Society (2000-2010)
8. Certificate of recognition of activities as the Chairman of the Membership subcommittee ofMaterials Research Society, Dec. 1999.
9. Certificate of recognition of activities as the Chairman of the Professional Development Sub-Committee of MRS, Dec. 1998.
10. Various Certificates from MRS and ASM.
11. Certificate of recognition for Organizing Symposium A-Fall 1995 MRS, Dec. 1995.
12. Certificate of recognition for Organizing Symposium KK-Fall 1997 MRS, Dec. 1997.
1. D. ILA, C. Mailhiot, and P. B. Saganti, Materials for Extreme Environments, CODEN: MRSPDH (MRS,Warrendale, PA, 2006). Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol. 929 © 2006 Materials Research Society 0929-II03-03.
2. D. ILA, J. Baglin, N. Kishimoto, P. Chu, Ion Beam Based Nanofabrication , MRS Proc. Vol. 1020(MRS, Warrendale, PA, 2007)
3. D. ILA, P. Chu, N. Kishimoto, Jörg K. N. Lindner, and J. Baglin, Ion Beams and Nano-Engineering, Mater. Res.Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol. 1181 © 2011 MRS- Cambrige University Press2010, Vol. 1267)
4. J. Baglin, D. ILA, G.Marletta, A.Oztarhan, Ion Beams--New Applications from Mesoscale to Nanoscale, Mater.Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol. 1354 © 2012 MRS- Cambrige University Press 978-1-606511-331-9.
5. J.K.N. Lindner. J. Baglin, D. ILA, and N. Kishimoto, Ion Beam Applications: New and Innovative Approaches, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, Volume 341, (December 2014)
Book chapters: (Selected)
6. Evelyn, A. L. (PhD Student 1997), and ILA, D., "Ion Beam Processing of Polymers: Basics and Applications"(Chapter 6), Advanced Functional Molecules and Polymers, Vol. 4 , 199-217 (2001).
7. R. A. Minamisawa (MS Student 2008), R. L. Zimmerman, C. Muntele and D. ILA, "Advanced PFA thin porousmembranes" in the "Polymer Thin Films " book, ISBN 978-953-7619-X-X.
8. A. Abunameh (PhD Student 2011), M. Seif, A. Batra, A. Elsamadecy, Y. Yang, L. Wang, C. Muntele, and D. ILA, "Characterization of Au Irradiated Glassy Polymeric Carbon at 2000C for Nuclear Applications: Irradiation ofGPC After Irradiation" , NATO Science for Peace and Security Series - A: Chemistry and Biology, Springer Series -Library of Congress control No.: 2011940795 , 2010.
Refereed Journals: (Selected)
1. D. ILA, "Ion Beam Assisted Deposition Enhanced Thermoelectric Properties (with Figure of Merit above 3.0)", Physics Procedia, Science Direct ELSEVIER, 2015
2. D. ILA, J. E. E. Baglin, and R. L. Zimmerman, "Nano-Crystal Formation and Growth from High-Fluence Ion Implantation of Au, Ag, or Cu in Silina", Physics Procedia, Science Direct ELSEVIER, 2015
3. S. Budak, S. Guner, C. Muntele, and D. ILA, " Thermoelectric Generation from AgBiTe and AgSbTe Thin Films Modified by High-Energy Beam", Jr. of Elec. Mat., 2015.
4. S. Budak, K. Heidary, R. B. Johnson, T. Colon, C. Muntele, D. ILA, " MeV Si Ion Modifications on the Thermoelectric Generator from Si/Si+Ge Nanolayered Films", Journal of Applied Surface Science, Volume 310, 221-225 (2014)
5. S. Guner, S. Budak, B. Gibson, D. ILA, "Optical properties of Ag nanoclusters formed by irradiation and annealing of SiO2/SiO2: Ag thin films", Journal of Applied Surface Science, Volume 310, 180-183 (2014)
6. S. Budak, S. Guner, R. A. Minamisawa, C. I. Muntele, D. ILA, "Thermoelectric Properties of of Zn4Sb3/CeFe(4-x)CoxSb12 Nano-layered Superlattices Modified by MeV Si ions Beam", Journal of Applied Surface Science, Volume 310, 226-229 (2014)
7. D. ILA, "Thermoelectric systems: Ion beam enhanced thermoelectric properties "Journal of Applied Surface Science, Volume 310, 217-220 (2014).
8. S. R. Allayarov,Yu. A. Olkhov, C. I. Muntele, D. A. Dixon, D. ILA, "Effect of MeV protons on the phase behaviour and thermal stability of polytetrafluoroethylene ", High Energy Chemistry, May 2014, Springer, Volume 48, Issue 3, pp 162-173.
9. S. R. Allayarov, Y. A. Olkhov, C. I. Muntele, D. A. Dixon, D. ILA, "Effect of MeV protons on the phase behaviour and thermal stability of polytetrafluoroethylene", High Energy Chemistry, May 2014, Springer, Volume 48, Issue 3, pp 162-173.
10. S. Budak#, R. Parker, C. Smith*, C. Muntele#, K. Heidary, R. B. Johnson and D. ILA, "Superlattice multinanolayered thin films of SiO2/SiO2 + Ge for thermoelectric device applications", (2013) Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 24 (11) PP. 1357 - 1364 , doi: 10.1177/1045389X13483022
11. S. Budak#, C Smith*, K. Heidary, B. Johnson, C. Muntele#, and D. ILA, "Thermoelectric Properties of SiO2/SiO2+CoSb Multi-nanolayered Thin Films Modified by MeV Si Ions", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Online ISSN: 1530-8138 - published online (2013).
12. S. R. Allayarov, Yu. A. Ol'khov, I. N. Shtefan, K. I. Muntele#, D. ILA, and D. A. Dixon, High Energy Chemistry, Vol. 46 No. 2, 84-90 (2012)
13. S. R. Allayarov, Yu. A. Ol'khov, I. N. Shtefan, C. I. Muntele#, D. A. Dixon and D. ILA, (Wiley Blackwell Publisher - in print, 2012)
14. S. Budak, C. Smith*, M. Pugh*, K. Heidary, T. Colon*, R.B. Johnson, C. Muntele#, D. ILA, "MeV Si ions bombardments effects on thermoelectric properties of SiO2/SiO2þGe nanolayers", Radiation Physics and Chemistry 81 (2012) 410-413.
15. Budak, S., Chacha*, J., Smith*, C., Pugh*, M., Colon*, T., Heidary, K., Johnson, R.B., ILA, D. , "Effects of MeV Si ions bombardment on the thermoelectric generator from SiO2/SiO2 + Cu and SiO2/SiO2 + Au nanolayered multilayer films", (2011) Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 269 (24) PP. 3204 - 3208
16. D. ILA, "Challenges and Barriers for Small Business Success", ADVANCES IN MARKETTING, K. Joonas, V. Lukosius, K. P. Marshall, Page 115 Proceedings of The Association of Collegiate Marketing Educators (2012).
17. Lassiter*, J., Chacha*, J., Muntele#, C., Budak, S., Elsamadicy, A., ILA, D. , "Modeling of approximated electron transport across ion beam patterned quantum dot nanostructures ", (2012) Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings 1354 PP. 135 - 139 , doi: 10.1557/opl.2011.1209
18. John E. E. Baglin and Daryush ILA, "Future Directions for Ion Beam Technology and Research: Forum Report", Cambridge University Press, MRS Proceedings Volume 1354, 2012.
19. Smith*, C., Budak#, S., Jordan*, T., Chacha*, J., Chhay#, B., Heidary, K., Johnson, R.B., ILA, D. , " 5 MeV Si ion modification on thermoelectric SiO2/SiO2+Cu multilayer films", (2012) Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings 1354 PP. 121 - 125, doi: 10.1557/opl.2011.1344
20. Robert Zimmerman, Claudiu Muntele#, and Daryush ILA, " "Materials science education: Ion beam modification and analysis of materials ", (2012) Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids 167 (8) PP. 577 - 582
21. S. Budak, C. Smith*, J. Chacha*, C. Muntele#, and D. ILA, "Characterization of gold nanodots arrangements in SiO 2/SiO 2+Au nanostructured metamaterials ", (2012) Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids 167 (8) PP. 607 - 611.
1. D. ILA, Method for Production of High Figure of Merit Thermoelectric Materials, Application number: 20150020861, January 22, 2015
2. D. ILA, High efficiency thermoelectric device, Patent number: 8841539, September 26, 2013
3. D. ILA, Efficient Thermoelectric Device and Associated Method, Application number: 20100221861, Issued: September 2, 2010
4. D. ILA Efficient Thermoelectric Device, Patent No. US 7,687,705 B2, March 30, 2010
5. R. A. Minamisawa, R. L. Zimmerman, D. ILA, System and Method of Fabricating pores in polymer membranes, Pub. No. US 2009/0242386 A1, Pu