Math Support Center
What Do We Offer?
The Math Support Center is committed to offering superior tutorial services in the area of mathematics. The center maintains a caring, supportive, and encouraging academic presence to the university community.ServicesThe Math Support Center provides a number of services available to students.
- Free, drop-in tutoring (no appointment necessary) for any FSU students seeking assistance with mathematical concepts.
- Tutors are available for one-on-one support.
- Computer lab with up-to-date mathematics and statistics software.
- Midterm & Final Review Sessions
- Graphing Calculator Loans
Hours of Operation
Monday through Thursday - 10:00am to 5:00pm
Friday - 1:00pm to 5:00pm
On-Line graphing calculator
Any TI calculator manual:
Any Casio calculator manual:
On-Line Videos on various math topics
Other generally useful math resources:
- A search on a math topic will usually return links to material on Wikipedia and Mathworld, both of which are generally excellent.
- Excellent Blog written by Timothy Gowers, Editor of The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
- Another amazing blog by Terence Tao, prolific mathematician, and Fields Medalist
- Yet another blog by a guy who has done a lot of illustrations for Wikipedia
- Wolfram Alpha actually performs various mathematical operations and volunteers a bunch of related information. Used wisely, you can learn an incredible amount exploring the further information it provides.
- A tutors role is to never do the student's work for him or her.
- The tutor will give honest feed back to the student they serve and will not insult the student with false hope or empty flattery; Tutor will always demonstrate faith in student's learning abilities.
- Tutor will understand that their relationship to the student is professional and not personal.
- Tutor will show respect for student's cultural background and personal value system.
- Tutor will recognize that he/she may not have all the answers to student questions.
- Tutor will maintain accurate records of tutoring sessions as expected and required.
- Tutor will respect the student's personal dignity at all times.
- Tutor will be on time for tutoring appointments, not onlyu out of courtesy, but to be a good example for my student to follow.
- Tutor will keep all information about the student they are assigned confidential.
- Tutor will understand that the ultimate goal is to assist the student in learning how he or she best learns and to help the student develop the skills to achieve hi or her best, most effiecient learning.
- Tutor will share any concerns with the supervisor of the Math Support Center.
- Tutor expects to learn along with the student.
- Tutor will keep current in both the subject areas and learning methodologies.
- Tutor will remain flexible to their approach to student learning, respectful of the various learning styles.
- Tutor will share techniques for improved study skills with the student.