Scheduling an Appointment
Our trained tutors at the Writing & Communication Center offer a safe and comfortable writing community where students can get feedback on their work and learn strategies to become great writers. We assist with all writing projects including essays, academic research, creative writing, case studies, cover letters, and resumes. We offer assistance at any stage of the writing process, on any type of writing, from any course or department.
Our sessions are 30 minutes to an hour long, and they will be able to assist you with any part of your writing process.
- You can receive in-person assistance at our FSU on-campus location. Please find us on the second floor of the Helen T. Chick Building, Room 216-B. We are tucked in the back but can be easily spotted by our Writing Center sign towards the end of the hall.
- To schedule an in-person appointment, call us at 910-672-1033, visit us in the HTC Building, Room 216-B, or visit Upswing, our appointment website, accessed via FSU Engage.
- What to bring: to make the most of your session, we suggest you bring a pen/pencil, notebook paper, any prewritings you may have, the assignment prompt, and questions you might have.
FSU is using Upswing, our online platform, which is a great alternative if you are unable to come to campus for your current writing or reading assignment. Much like in-person appointments, these 30-minute to hour sessions will be able to assist you with any part of your writing process regardless of where you reside or when you work.
- You can access Upswing using the FSU Engage Portal or via Canvas
- Select "Meet with a Tutor" on the homepage or by clicking "Tutoring" on the left-side panel
- In the search bar, type "Writing Center" or a tutor's name for FSU Writing Center tutors. You can also search by a specific course name to work with an Upswing tutor.
- Once you have selected a tutor, you can start immediately or schedule a session according to availability. When your session is about to start, click "Go to Room" in the Upswing Sessions section. When you enter the Virtual Learning Classroom, the tutoring session will start.
- What to bring: to make the most of your session, we suggest that you bring a pen/pencil, notebook paper, any prewritings you may have, the assignment prompt, and any questions you might have.
Uploading an assignment for review on Upswing
The "Assignment Review" feature on Upswing, will allow you to submit any writing assignment to a tutor and receive immediate feedback. To take advantage of this feature, you will want to...
1. Log into Upswing and select "Upload an assignment for review" on the homepage or click "Assignment Review on the left-side panel
2. Enter the information about your assignment (Subject, Title, Description, etc.)
3. Upload your assignment to the "Main File Upload" section and the writing prompt and click "Submit"
4. Return to the same screen to review your Current and Previous Submissions
5. Assignments with deedback will be returned within 48 hours. Be sure you submit your assignments with due dates in mind.