Mathematics Support Center
Who Are We:
The Math Support Center is committed to offering superior tutorial services in the area of mathematics. The center maintains a caring, supportive, and encouraging academic presence to the university community.ServicesThe Math Support Center provides a number of services available to students.
- Free, drop-in tutoring (no appointment necessary) for any FSU students seeking assistance with mathematical concepts.
- Numerous tutors are available for one-on-one support and are familiar with MathXL, the online homework softwares used in some classes. Therefore they can assist with software related issues in addition to helping students with mathematical concepts.
- A 20 station computer lab with up-to-date mathematics and statistics software.
- Midterm and Final review sessions for popular classes.
- Graphing calculators available for loan for an exam
- Walk-In Math workshops and study skills workshop
- Must be an active Fayetteville State University Student
- Must be enrolled in a math course
- Must log-in and log-out when utilizing the math center
When to Visit:
Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
If you think you might want a private tutor, please start by using our free tutoring service. You may be able to get your questions answered right in our office. If you decide you really want private tutoring, we can put the word out to people who might be available. You can then make arrangements privately with them.
What's the word on the math center?
..."thanks for all your help; I passed my final...The people there helped me quite a bit. Thanks again"
"...The first exam was a success as I passed it with 100%. Thus I feel more confident and encouraged to pass this course, my first college allgebra course in 29 years. Thank you for your help."
"My grades improved with a final grade of 94%(A) in Math 123. This is a direct result from the assistance of the tutors. Their patience and knowledge guided me through some difficult and stressful times."
"I needed help to improve my grade in math. I am glad that FSU has a wonderful tutorial program."
Irvin Paradizo Beyley
On-Line graphing calculator
Any TI calculator manual:
Any Casio calculator manual:
On-Line Videos on various math topics
Other generally useful math resources:
- A search on a math topic will usually return links to material on Wikipedia and Mathworld, both of which are generally excellent.
- Excellent Blog written by Timothy Gowers, Editor of The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
- Another amazing blog by Terence Tao, prolific mathematician, and Fields Medalist
- Yet another blog by a guy who has done a lot of illustrations for Wikipedia
- Wolfram Alpha actually performs various mathematical operations and volunteers a bunch of related information. Used wisely, you can learn an incredible amount exploring the further information it provides.
1. A tutors role is to never do the student's work for him or her.
2. The tutor will give honest feed back to the student they serve and will not insult the student with false hope or empty flattery; Tutor will always demonstrate faith in student's learning abilities.
3. Tutor will understand that their relationship to the student is professional and not personal.
4. Tutor will show respect for student's cultural background and personal value system.
5. Tutor will recognize that he/she may not have all the answers to student questions.
6. Tutor will maintain accurate records of tutoring sessions as expected and required.
7. Tutor will respect the student's personal dignity at all times.
8. Tutor will be on time for tutoring appointments, not onlyu out of courtesy, but to be a good example for my student to follow.
9. Tutor will keep all information about the student they are assigned confidential.
10. Tutor will understand that the ultimate goal is to assist the student in learning how he or she best learns and to help the student develop the skills to achieve hi or her best, most effiecient learning.
11. Tutor will share any concerns with the supervisor of the Math Support Center.
12. Tutor expects to learn along with the student.
13. Tutor will keep current in both the subject areas and learning methodologies.
14. Tutor will remain flexible to their approach to student learning, respectful of the various learning styles.
15. Tutor will share techniques for improved study skills with the student.