Educational Leadership - Doctor of Education (Ed. D.)
With an explicit focus on transformative leadership, FSU’s Ed. D. in Educational Leadership is uniquely designed to prepare and empower leaders to address the most pressing challenges in PK-12 and Higher Education.
This Doctorate in Education program admits a cohort of 20 students per year and is geared towards mid to senior level administrators in PK-12 and Higher Education. Courses are offered through a hybrid model that includes online, evening, and weekend classes. This system allows students to work full time while achieving their degree. The doctoral program culminates in a dissertation that addresses a problem of practice.
EdD Program at a Glance
Admission Term: Fall
Credit Hours: 60 credit hours beyond the Master's
Concentrations: PK-12 Education and Higher Education
Course Delivery: Hybrid--online, evenings, and weekends
Cohort Size: 20 students
Application Deadline: April 1st, 2019
The program's focus on transformative leadership will prepare you to address some of the most pressing challenges in PK-12 and Higher Education.
Transformative leadership emphasizes change through collaboration and creativity. Leaders who embrace this theory become reflective scholars and practitioners who find unique ways to reform schools and universities. They learn to transform educational organizations so that all students can experience inclusive, equitable, and high achievement learning environments.
The Ed. D. in Educational Leadership Program is designed to:
- Produce transformative leaders who can create a new educational paradigm.
- Combine theory with practice to provide candidates with a detailed understanding of the complex issues impacting education and student achievement.
- Prepare leaders to successfully transform current educational settings into inclusive and equitable learning environments.
- Address the crisis of educating historically underserved diverse communities using transformative leadership.
- PK-12-prepares you for leadership in education and policy-related settings including elementary and secondary public, charter and independent schools, district-level offices, research organizations, government agencies, professional associations, and consulting firms.
- Higher Education-prepares you for leadership in higher education and policy-related settings including colleges and universities, government agencies, professional associations, research and consulting firms, among other learning organizations.
Dissertation Proposal Approval
Dissertation Oral Defense Scheduling (forms must be submitted 10 business days before requested defense date)
Dissertation Oral Defense Results
Dissertation Approval Form
18th Faculty emails potential Fall 2020 graduates
25th Preferred deadling for submitting names for potential Fall 2020 defenses
7th Labor Day - University Closed
9th Meeting for Fall Candidates
21st Dissertation Defenses begin
30th Dissertation Defenses end
2nd Last day for faculty to submit disseration oral defense form. Students make final revisions to the dissertation.
11th Veteran's Day - University Closed
13th Last day of class
16th Last day to submit copies (4) to the Department of Educational Leadership with Dissertation Approval Form
19th Dissertations to library/online submission
20th Final exams ends for all students
30th Final grades due for all students as well as incompletes from Spring/Summer 2020
13th Faculty emails potential Spring graduates
22nd Deadline for submitting names of potential Spring graduates
1st First day of class/late registration begins
10th Student meeting for Spring graduates
22nd Dissertation Defenses begin
31st Dissertation Defenses end
2nd Good Friday - University Open
6th Founder's Day
7th Last day for faculty to submit dissertation oral defense form. Students make final revisions to the dissertation
27th Last day to submit copies (4) to the Deparment of Educational Leadership with Dissertation Approval Form
29th Dissertations to library/online submission
3rd Finals begin for Graduate and Doctoral graduating students
7th Finals end for Graduate and Doctoral graduating students
11th Grades due for Graduate/Doctoral graduating students by 5pm
12th Clearance forms due for Graduate/Doctoral graduating students at 12:00 pm
13th Commencement rehearsal for Graduate/Doctoral Students
14th Graduate/Doctoral Commencement