Educational Leadership - Doctor of Education (Ed. D.)
With an explicit focus on transformative leadership, FSU’s Ed. D. in Educational Leadership is uniquely designed to prepare and empower leaders to address the most pressing challenges in PK-12 and Higher Education.
This Doctorate in Education program admits a cohort of students annually and is geared towards mid to senior level administrators in PK-12 and Higher Education. Courses are offered through a hybrid model that includes online, evening, and weekend classes. This system allows students to work full time while achieving their degree. The doctoral program culminates in a dissertation.
Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate
FSU's Ed.D. program is an active member of the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate, a national effort to reform and strengthen the eduction doctorate. To read more on the carnegie project click the link: https://www.cpedinitiative.org/vision-mission
EdD Program at a Glance
Admission Term: Fall
Credit Hours: 60 credit hours beyond the Master's
Concentrations: PK-12 Education and Higher Education
Course Delivery: Hybrid--online, evenings, and weekends
Application Deadline: April
The program's focus on transformative leadership will prepare you to address some of the most pressing challenges in PK-12 and Higher Education.
Transformative leadership emphasizes change through collaboration and creativity. Leaders who embrace this theory become reflective scholars and practitioners who find unique ways to reform schools and universities. They learn to transform educational organizations so that all students can experience inclusive, equitable, and high achievement learning environments.
The Ed. D. in Educational Leadership Program is designed to:
- Produce transformative leaders who can create a new educational paradigm.
- Combine theory with practice to provide candidates with a detailed understanding of the complex issues impacting education and student achievement.
- Prepare leaders to successfully transform current educational settings into inclusive and equitable learning environments.
- Address the crisis of educating historically underserved diverse communities using transformative leadership.
- PK-12-prepares you for leadership in education and policy-related settings including elementary and secondary public, charter and independent schools, district-level offices, research organizations, government agencies, professional associations, and consulting firms.
- Higher Education-prepares you for leadership in higher education and policy-related settings including colleges and universities, government agencies, professional associations, research and consulting firms, among other learning organizations.
Comprehensive Examination Application
Comp Exam Application
Admission to Candidacy
Admission to Candidacy for Ed. D ProgramDissertation Committee
Dissertation Advisory Committee Membership
Graduate Faculty Criteria
Graduate Faculty Application Proposal Defense
Dissertation Proposal Approval
Human Subjects Use in Research ApplicationDissertation Defense
Dissertation Oral Defense Scheduling (forms must be submitted 10 business days before requested defense date)
Dissertation Oral Defense Results
Dissertation Approval Form