Scholarships are a reward for academic excellence to support a student's education. Alumni, parents and friends, as well as, corporations and foundations support the more than 100 scholarship funds administered by FSU and awarded by the scholarship committee. Please submit scholarship applications by the appropriate deadline.
In order to be considered for FSU Scholarships, the applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
- Complete the FAFSA Application at studentaid.gov/.
- Be a currently enrolled degree seeking student at FSU, or applied and been accepted for admission.
- Must be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate potential for making positive contributions to the FSU community.
- Have a minimum GPA as indicated below: Submit a completed online application and two letters of recommendation.
- New Students admitted to FSU -3.0 GPA
- Continuing Undergraduate Students - 3.0 GPA
- Continuing Graduate Students - 3.5 GPA
- Incomplete applications, and/or applications without two letters of recommendations, will not be considered.
- The scholarship committee will consider applicants for all scholarships for which they are eligible. To be considered for any of the scholarships listed below, the applicant will only be required to complete one online application.
- Prior to starting the online application, the applicant will need to have the Name and Email Addresses of two individuals, he or she wishes to use as a reference, who can give an accurate assessment of his or her qualifications.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final.
Deadline for submission is January 31, 2024
Please Note: Your application you will be considered for all scholarships you are eligible for at the time of submission.
The Bronco Opportunity Scholarship is a need-based award designed to reduce the cost of undergraduate tuition, ease financial stress, and make earning your college degree more achievable.
Will you be a new freshman or transfer student at Fayetteville State University in 2024-25? Are you a student looking for financial assistance to pay for your education? Our Bronco Opportunity Scholarship can help. It’s designed for students who may not have the means to afford college otherwise, and it’s based on your financial need and academic achievement. We understand the importance of higher education and we want to help you reach your goals. By applying for our scholarship, you’ll have the opportunity to invest in your future and make your dream of attending college a reality. Apply now and let us help you achieve your goals.
BENEFITS AND HIGHLIGHTS
If awarded a Bronco Opportunity Scholarship, you will get:
- 4-year renewable scholarships covering unmet need
- A laptop computer to help meet your digital needs
- Support from a career coach who will help you with career planning, internships, and job placement after graduation.
In order to be considered for the Bronco Opportunity Scholarships, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Formally admitted to Fayetteville State University
- A first-time-freshmen or transfer student (2024-25)
- Must reside on campus
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Submit a completed online scholarship application and complete an essay
- Enrolled full-time in an undergraduate BA/BS degree program
- In good academic standing and making satisfactory academic progress
- From a Tier 1 or 2 County in Eastern NC (see list below)
APPLY FOR THE BRONCO OPPORTUNITY SCHOLARSHIP
The total number of Bronco Opportunity Scholarship awards each year is based on available funding. We encourage you to apply early.
- Visit Fayetteville State University Scholarship Portal and select “Students.”
- Use your FSU login to access and submit the general scholarship application form.
- Select the “Apply” button next to “Opportunity Scholars Program.”
- Complete the FAFSA Application at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Please be advised that scholarship funds may be considered taxable income by the IRS. It is the responsibility of the recipient to report and pay taxes on any scholarship funds received. We recommend consulting with a tax professional or the IRS for more information on how scholarships may affect your taxes.
Dr. Valeria Fleming is a retired Professor of Biology who has been a pioneer educator and researcher at Fayetteville State University for 55 years. She earned her bachelor's and master's degrees from North Carolina Central University and the Ph.D. from UNC - Chapel Hill. An outstanding teacher and researcher known for her high standards of excellence, Dr. Fleming has motivated and inspired students to further study and careers in sciences.
Valeria Fleming STEM Scholarship recipients must:
- Be a Freshman applicant for admission to Fayetteville State University, meeting all requirements for admission.
- Submit application for Valeria Fleming STEM scholarship with recommendations from two (2) educators who can assess applicant's potential for success in a STEM major at FSU.
- High School GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Have the intent to major in one of the following majors: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Forensic Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Middle Grades or Secondary Teacher Education in Mathematics or Science, or the FSU - NCSU 3+2 program Engineering.
Benefits of the Scholarship
Valeria Fleming STEM scholars will:
- Be awarded a "Debt-Free" scholarship for up to four (4) years of enrollment. The debt-free scholarship means that Fleming Scholars will not be required to secure loans to cover the costs of earning their degrees. FSU will award a scholarship to cover the cost of tuition/fees/room/board in combination with any federal or state grants or other scholarships students receive, including the required Federal Work Study.
- Be assigned a Faculty Mentor in their area of intended major. Mentors will supervise students’ work study assignments, guide student research projects, assist the student in securing and preparing for summer research opportunities, and assist students in academic and career planning.
Valeria Fleming STEM scholars will be required to:
- Maintain full-time enrollment and live on campus.
- Participate in the Federal Work Study program.
To Continue in the Program
Valeria Fleming STEM scholars must:
- Make satisfactory academic progress toward completion of a major in the specified STEM discipline.
- Maintain a cumulative FSU GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Earn at least 30 credits per academic year. Students who fall short of earing 30 credits in the regular academic year may attend summer school to make up the deficit and retain the scholarship, however scholarship funds do no cover summer school attendance.
- The Valeria Fleming STEM scholarship will be awarded for up to four years.
Complete the application here:
PLEASE NOTE: Failure to submit your completed application with both references along with the correct email subject header will result in the delay of the processing of your application.
FTCC Keen Scholarship
The FTCC Keen Scholarship is a scholarship for FTCC students that will provide a seamless transition for matriculating students to Fayetteville State University.
To qualify for this scholarship, an individual must:
- have earned an associate degree from FTCC
- have a minimum GPA of at least 3.0
- meet all requirements for admissions to FSU
- Enroll in at least 12 credits or more
Priority will be given to high demand work-force majors such as Nursing, Business Analytics, Intelligence Studies, and Cybersecurity.
The FTCC Keen scholarship is a onetime award for first time Transfer students with conferred Associate degree.
For more information, contact FSU at (910) 672-2850.
Description and Qualifications
The purpose of the Military Tuition scholarship is to provide free tuition to Fayetteville State University (FSU) undergraduate students who are military-affiliated (active-duty military, veterans, spouses and dependents). Any additional tuition remaining after the use of VA educational benefits or Tuition Assistance will be covered by the military tuition scholarships (up to $500 for in-state military connected undergraduate students, per semester and up to $2500 for out-of-state military connected undergraduate students, per semester).
To qualify for this scholarship, an individual must (1) be an active-duty service member, member of the National Guard/Reserves, veteran with an honorable discharge, or military spouse or dependent, (2) have a GPA of at least 2.5 from an accredited university or high school, (3) timely submit all application materials to FSU, (4) meet all requirements for admissions to FSU.
Returning students must have at least a 2.5 GPA, maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, and submit their application in a timely fashion. This scholarship is renewable to past recipients, but you must apply each year and continue to meet the requirements.
In order to be considered for the Military Tuition Scholarship, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be admitted to an Undergraduate Degree Seeking Program
- Enroll in at least 12 credits or more
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Submit proof to Fayetteville State University of military connection
- Complete an Affirmation form upon request