TRIO Upward Bound Math & Science
We provide support that will enhance academic skills to help high school students with achieving the desire to go to college by helping to prepare, apply, pay and enroll into college. Our program helps you to recognize and develop your skills in math and science to encourage you to major in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math).
TRIO Upward Bound Math and Science
Why Join TRIO Upward Bound Math & Science
TRIO Upward Bound Math & Science has a strong track record of motivating low-income and first-generation students to go to college. While participating in Upward Bound you will receive school support and exposure to college opportunities throughout the nation.
As a member of the TRIO Upward Bound family, you have the opportunity to come on the campus of Fayetteville State University, bi-weekly, to attend the Saturday Academy which supports your math, science and research abilities. In addition, you have the opportunity to participate in a summer program, for six weeks, designed enhance critical thinking skills. activities such as Participate in hands on simulation activities such as Robotics, Lego, Quest and science fairs.
- Academic instruction in math through pre-calculus, English, Foreign Languages, and science.
- Tutorial services in English, laboratory science (biology, chemistry, physics and research), Foreign Language (Spanish French or Arabic), math, and other high school courses at target schools.
- Academic advice and assistance in secondary school course selection.
- Personal, academic, educational, financial, social and career counseling.
- Exposure to a variety of colleges and universities with an emphasis in STEM programs (science, technology, engineering and math), academic programs, as well as cultural events and other activities.
- Mentor programs involving FSU faculty, staff and students majoring in STEM fields and science.
- Supplementary academic skills workshops such as study skills, math anxiety, note taking and test taking skills.
- Exposure to STEM careers.
- Parent Institute resources to assist parents with school success.
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications.
- Assistance in preparing for the SAT/ACT and/or PSAT/PLAN.
- Six-week summer research program.
To Join Upward Bound Math & Science
- You will be in at least the 9th grade (students in the 8th grade may apply for admission but will not be admitted until they receive their final 8th grade report card)
- You have an interest in science, mathematics, engineering, or a related area STEM field
- You attend one of the target high schools: Douglas Byrd High and Westover High in Cumberland County or Lumberton High in Robeson County
- You are a potential first generation college students and/or students who receive free/reduced lunch.
- You plan on continuing your education after high school at a four-year college
- You are willing to participate in all aspects of the Upward Bound Math & Science Program
- Douglas Byrd High School
- Southview High School
- Westover High School
- Senior Success Guide
- Program Service Guide
The Fayetteville State University Upward Bound Math & Science Program is funded from 2017-2022 entirely from the U.S. Department of Education in the amount of $263,938 annually.