Nanomaterials Research Group
- Dr. Gibin George
Postdoctoral Fellow, 03/2017 - 01/2021; now Assistant Professor at SCMS School of Engineering and Technology.
- Dr. Sivasankara Rao Ede
Postdoctoral Fellow, 04/2019 - 01/2022; now Postdoctoral Fellow at UC Irvine.
- Caressia S. Edwards
Fall 2018 - spring 2022; DoD Scholar; PREM Scholar
- Tamela L. Moore
Fall 2020 - spring 2022; PREM Scholar; DoD Scholar.
- Zamari T. Morris
Fall 2021 - spring 2022; EIR Scholar.
- Hanna M. Paige
Fall 2021; PrOMiSS Scholar; PREM scholar.
- Jessa Guffie
Fall 2018 - summer 2021; PREM Scholar; DoD Scholar.
- Carlos D. Posada
Fall 2018 - spring 2021; PREM Scholar; DoD Scholar.
- Jacob I. Hayes
Fall 2018 - fall 2020; former ARO Scholar; EIR Scholar; former PrOMiSS Scholar; now a Lab Technician with the Archer Daniels Midland Company.
- Candyce N. Collins
Fall 2018 - spring 2020; former DoD Scholar; former PREM Scholar; now chemical lab operator at Chemours.
- Aspyne K. Silvestro fall 2019 - spring 2020; former PREM Scholar; now in graduate study at California Lutheran University.
- Richard D. Jeffery spring 2018 - spring 2019; former PrOMiSS Scholar.
- Carlin D. Ashford spring 2017 - spring 2018; former FSU RISE Scholar.
- Shanell L. Jackson spring 2017 - spring 2018; former PrOMiSS Scholar.
- Aleeyah Johniken fall 2017 - spring 2018; masters student at Tuskegee University.
- Zariana R. Mobley spring 2017 - fall 2018; former PrOMiSS Scholar; now is at US Army Signal Branch.
- Tajah C. Trapier Cumberland International Early College High School; spring 2017 - spring 2018; now a college student at NC State University.
- Shardai S. Johnson fall 2014 - spring 2017; now a Ph.D. student at Tuskegee University.
- Chibu Umerah fall 2015 - spring 2017; received a master's degree from Tuskegee University.
- Laura L. Lovell spring 2016 - spring 2017; now in Materials Science and Engineering Program at NC State University.
- Machael D. Simpson Department of Math and Computer Science; fall 2016 - fall 2017.
- Gerry Y. Woodland spring 2017.
- Racquel O. Broomfield spring 2017.
- Furaha Ive fall 2015 - fall 2016; former FSU RISE Scholar.
- Christina H. Young fall 2015 - spring 2016; now works at the US Army Corps of Engineers and a Ph.D. Candidate in Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M University.
- Shivaliben H. Patel fall 2015 - spring 2016; now an Associate Scientist at Avista Pharma Solutions, Inc., Raleigh-Durham, NC.
- Gabrielle L. Clark spring 2015 - fall 2015; now in a PharmD candidate, Campbell University, NC.
- Argenis A. Mendoza spring 2015; joined Nexus Dx.
- Margarita Cargona spring 2015.
- Amber N. Oxendine spring 2015.
- Niyoyankunze Noel fall 2013 - fall 2014; former FSU RISE Scholar; entered a Master program at Norfolk State University.
- Malik Oliver fall 2013 - spring 2014; transferred to University of Massachusetts.
- Niyogushima Juliely spring 2013 - spring 2014; former FSU RISE Scholar; now works for the US Armed Forces.
- Shayna Slicer spring 2013 - spring 2014; now a Chemist at The Ritedose Corporation, SC.
- Nakia Blue fall 2013.
- Matthew Tewobola fall 2012 - spring 2013; now works for the U.S. DoD Navy.
- Christa Thompson fall 2012 - spring 2013; now a science teacher at East Lee Middle School, Sanford, NC.
- Synthesis of novel nanomaterials with enhanced properties for energy-related applications.
- Luminescence and radiation detection.
- Energy conversion and storage.
- Material structures through X-ray and neutron diffraction and electron microscopy techniques.
- First-principles density-functional theory calculations.
- Material structure-property correlations.
11. PI: Zhiping Luo; Co-PI: Bhoj Gautam, Shubo Han, Shaik Zainuddin. Targeted Infusion Project: Development of an Interdisciplinary Materials Science Graduate Certificate Program (IMS-GCP) to Strengthen STEM Education through a Bridging Approach. National Science Foundation, EES 2106181, 09/01/2021-08/31/2024, $400,000 (ongoing). [Link]
10. PI: Zhiping Luo; Co-PI: Bhoj Gautam, Shubo Han. Excellence in Research: Collaborative Research on Nanosensors to Develop Research Capacities at Interdisciplinary Materials Research and Education Laboratory (IMREL). National Science Foundation, ECCS 1900837, 09/01/2019-08/31/2024, $599,998 (ongoing). [Link]
9. PI: Zhiping Luo; Co-PI: Bhoj Gautam, Daryush Ila, Weigang Lu, Dan Neuman. IMREL-CHRNS Partnership for Research and Education in Materials (IC-PREM) using a National Facility. National Science Foundation, DMR 1827731, 09/01/2018-08/31/2024, $718,294 (ongoing). [Link]
8. PI: Zhiping Luo. Radiation Response of Nanoscintillators Using a Cathodoluminescence Spectrometer on an Electron Probe Microanalyzer. Army Research Office (ARO), Department of Defense (DoD), Contract No. W911NF1810469, 10/15/2018-10/14/2022, $569,481 (completed).
7. PI: Khalid Lodhi; Co-PI: Shirley Chao, Natalia Czado, Zhiping Luo, Ali Siamaki. Providing Opportunities to Minority Students in STEM (PrOMiSS). National Science Foundation, EES 1719511, 07/01/2017-06/30/2022, $395,801 (completed). [Link]
6. PI: Zhiping Luo. FY 2017 ORAU-Directed Research and Development Grant, 07/07/2017-08/31/2019, $37,500 (completed).
5. PI: Zhiping Luo; Co-PI: Daryush Ila. MRI: Acquisition of a Cathodoluminescence Spectrometer on an Electron Probe Microanalyzer for Multidisciplinary Research and Hands-On Education at Fayetteville State University. National Science Foundation, DMR 1626376, 09/15/2016-08/31/2018, $201,900 (completed). [Link]
4. PI: Zhiping Luo. Upgrading an X-Ray Energy Dispersive Spectrometer on the Electron Probe Microanalyzer for Materials Research and STEM Education at Fayetteville State University. Army Research Office, Department of Defense, Contract No. W911NF-15-1-0566, 09/01/2015-08/31/2016, $54,000 (completed).
3. PI: Zhiping Luo; Co-PI: Cevdet Akbay, Daniel Autrey, Shubo Han, Alexander Umantsev. Development of an Interdisciplinary Materials Research and Education Laboratory (IMREL) at Fayetteville State University. National Science Foundation, HRD 1436120, 07/01/2014-06/30/2018, $479,500 (completed). [Link]
2. PI: Zhiping Luo. Acquisition of Instruments for Research on High-Efficiency Radiation Detectors and Nanostructured Sensors and STEM Education at Fayetteville State University. Army Research Office, Department of Defense, Contract No. W911NF-14-1-0060, 02/01/2014-07/31/2015, $464,543 (completed).
1. PI: Zhiping Luo (current PI), Steven Singletary (former PI). Establishment of the Southeastern North Carolina Regional Microanalytical and Imaging Center (SENCR-MIC): A Collaborative Effort of Fayetteville State University and the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Army Research Office, Department of Defense, Contract No. W911NF-09-1-0011, 12/1/2008-05/31/2013, $1,419,215 (completed).
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=0-YNNKUAAAAJ
Research ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/C-4435-2014
1. Zhiping Luo. A Practical Guide to Transmission Electron Microscopy, Volume I: Fundamentals. Momentum Press, New York, 2016.
2. Zhiping Luo. A Practical Guide to Transmission Electron Microscopy, Volume II: Advanced Microscopy. Momentum Press, New York, 2016.
3. Gibin George, Sivasankara Rao Ede, Zhiping Luo. Fundamentals of Perovskite Oxides: Synthesis, Structure, Properties, and Applications. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 2020.
54. Navadeep Shrivastava, Jessa Guffie, Tamela L. Moore, Burak Guzelturk, Amar S. Kumbhar, Jianguo Wen, and Zhiping Luo. Surface-Doped Zinc Gallate Colloidal Nanoparticles Exhibit pH-Dependent Radioluminescence with Enhancement in Acidic Media. Nano Lett. 23, 14, 6482–6488 (2023). [Link] (open access)
53. Menuka Adhikari, Navadeep Shrivastava, Starfari T. McClain, Chandra M. Adhikari, Burak Guzelturk, Rabi Khanal, Bhoj Gautam, Zhiping Luo. Luminescence from Self-Trapped Excitons and Energy Transfers in Vacancy-Ordered Hexagonal Halide Perovskite Cs2HfF6 Doped with Rare Earths for Radiation Detection. Adv. Opt. Mater. 10, 2201374 (2022). [Link] (open access; back cover)
52. Gibin George, Navadeep Shrivastava, Tamela L. Moore, Caressia S. Edwards, Yulin Lin, Jianguo Wen, Zhiping Luo*. Rare-earth-doped electrospun scheelite CaWO4 nanofibers with excitation-dependent photoluminescence and high-linearity cathodoluminescence for ratiometric UV wavelength and radiation sensors. Opt. Mater. 126, 112130 (2022). [Link]
51. Zhiping Luo. Structure of boehmite-derived γ-alumina and its transformation mechanism revealed by electron crystallography. Acta Cryst. B77, 772-784 (2021). [Link] (open access)
This paper was written in honor of Professor Hatsujiro Hashimoto and Professor Ke Hsin Kuo, who inspired the author in electron microscopy and crystallography.
50. Sivasankara Rao Ede, and Zhiping Luo*. Tuning the intrinsic catalytic activities of oxygen-evolution catalysts by doping: a comprehensive review. J. Mater. Chem. A 9, 20131-20163 (2021). (Selected as a J. Mater. Chem. A HOT Paper) [Link] (open access)
49. Sivasankara Rao Ede, Candyce N. Collins, Carlos D. Posada, Gibin George, Hui Wu, William D. Ratcliff, Yulin Lin, Jianguo Wen, Shubo Han, and Zhiping Luo*. Intermediate Sr2Co1.5Fe0.5O6-δ Tetragonal Structure between Perovskite and Brownmillerite as a Model Catalyst with Layered Oxygen Deficiency for Enhanced Electrochemical Water Oxidation. ACS Catal. 11, 4327-4337 (2021). [Link]
48. Vineet Kumar, Gibin George, Jacob I. Hayes, Yulin Lin, Burak Guzelturk, Jianguo Wen and Zhiping Luo*. Dopant site-dependent luminescence from rare-earth doped dibarium octafluorohafnate Ba2HfF8 nanocubes for radiation detection. J. Mater. Chem. C 9, 1721-1729 (2021). [Link]
47. Vineet Kumar and Zhiping Luo*. A Review on X-ray Excited Emission Decay Dynamics in Inorganic Scintillator Materials. Photonics 8, 71 (2021). [Link]
46. Gibin George, Jacob I. Hayes, Candyce N. Collins, Jason E. Davis, Lei Yu, Yulin Lin, Jianguo Wen, Daryush Ila, Zhiping Luo. Size- and concentration-dependent Eu2+/Eu3+ mixed luminescent characteristics of rare-earth-doped CaF2 nanoparticles and their monolithic epoxy nanocomposites. J. Alloys Compd. 857, 157591 (2021). [Link]
45. Rui Shu, Xiaosong Jiang, Y.X. Zhang, Richard Wuhrer, Bing Liu, Hongliang Sun, Zhenyi Shao, Zhiping Luo. Microstructure and mechanical properties of nano-carbon reinforced Mo-Cu-Zr composites. Carbon 179, 227-239 (2021). [Link]
44. Gibin George, Zhiping Luo*. A Review on Electrospun Luminescent Nanofibers: Photoluminescence Characteristics and Potential Applications. Current Nanosci. 16, 321-362 (2020). [Link]
43. Gibin George, Caressia S. Edwards, Jacob I. Hayes, Lei Yu, Sivasankara Rao Ede, Jianguo Wen and Zhiping Luo*. A novel reversible fluorescent probe for the highly sensitive detection of nitro and peroxide organic explosives using electrospun BaWO4 nanofibers. J. Mater. Chem. C 7, 14949-14961 (2019). (Selected as a J. Mater. Chem. C HOT Paper) [Link]
42. Gibin George, Machael D. Simpson, Bhoj R. Gautam, Dong Fang, Jinfang Peng, Jianguo Wen, Jason E. Davis, Daryush Ila and Zhiping Luo*. Luminescence characteristics of rare-earth-doped barium hexafluorogermanate BaGeF6 nanowires: fast subnanosecond decay time and high sensitivity in H2O2 detection. RSC Adv. 8, 39296-39306 (2018). [Link]
41. Gibin George, Shanell L Jackson, Zariana R Mobley, Bhoj Gautam, Dong Fang, Jinfang Peng, Duan Luo, Jianguo Wen, Jason E Davis, Daryush Ila, Zhiping Luo*. Fast luminescence from rare-earth-codoped BaSiF6 nanowires with high aspect ratios. J. Mater. Chem. C 6, 7285-7294 (2018). [Link]
40. Gibin George, Shanell L. Jackson, Charles Q. Luo, Dong Fang, Duan Luo, Dongli Hu, Jianguo Wen, Zhiping Luo*. Effect of doping on the performance of high-crystalline SrMnO3 perovskite nanofibers as a supercapacitor electrode. Ceram. Inter. 44, 21982-21992 (2018). [Link]
39. Zhiping Luo, John G. Moch, Shardai S. Johnson, and Chien Chon Chen. A Review on X-ray Detection Using Nanomaterials. Current Nanosci. 13 (4), 364-372 (2017). [Link]
38. Chang Wang, Yunhe Cao, Zhiping Luo, Guangzhong Li, Weilin Xu, Chuanxi Xiong, Guoqiu He, Yingde Wang, Shan Li, Hui Liu, Dong Fang. Flexible potassium vanadate nanowires on Ti fabric as a binder-free cathode for high-performance advanced lithium-ion battery. Chem. Eng. J. 307, 382-388 (2017). [Link]
37. Ruipeng Li, Jun Zhang, Rui Tan, Frauke Gerdes, Zhiping Luo, Hongwu Xu, Jennifer A. Hollingsworth, Christian Klinke, Ou Chen, and Zhongwu Wang. Competing Interactions between Various Entropic Forces toward Assembly of Pt3Ni Octahedra into a Body-Centered Cubic Superlattice. Nano Lett. 16 (4), 2792-2799 (2016). [Link]
36. Chang Wang, Dong Fang, Hong'en Wang, Yunhe Cao, Weilin Xu, Xiaoqing Liu, Zhiping Luo, Guangzhong Li, Ming Jiang & Chuanxi Xiong. Uniform Nickel Vanadate (Ni3V2O8 ) Nanowire Arrays Organized by Ultrathin Nanosheets with Enhanced Lithium Storage Properties. Sci. Rep. 6, 20826 (8 pp) (2016). [Link]
35. L.W. Tseng, Ji Ma, B.C. Hornbuckle, I. Karaman, G.B. Thompson, Z.P. Luo, Y.I. Chumlyakov. The effect of precipitates on the superelastic response of  oriented FeMnAlNi single crystals under compression. Acta Mater. 97, 234-244 (2015). [Link]
34. L.W. Tseng, Ji. Ma, S.J. Wang, I. Karaman, M. Kaya, Z.P. Luo and Y.I. Chumlyakov. Superelastic response of a single crystalline FeMnAlNi shape memory alloy under tension and compression. Acta Mater. 89, 374-383 (2015). [Link]
33. Zewei Quan, Hongwu Xu, Chenyu Wang, Xiaodong Wen, Yuxuan Wang, Jinlong Zhu, Ruipeng Li, Chris J. Sheehan, Zhongwu Wang, Detlef-M. Smilgies, Zhiping Luo*, and Jiye Fang*. Solvent-Mediated Self-Assembly of NanocubeSuperlattices. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136 (4), 1352-1359 (2014). [Link]
32. Jiahua Zhu, Minjiao Chen, Huige Wei, Narendranath Yerra, Neel Haldolaarachchige, Zhiping Luo, David P. Young, Thomas C. Ho, Suying Wei, Zhanhu Guo. Magnetocapacitance in magnetic microtubular carbon nanocomposites under external magnetic field. Nano Energy 6, 180-192 (2014). [Link]
31. Jiahua Zhu, Hongbo Gu, Jiang Guo, Minjiao Chen, Huige Wei, Zhiping Luo, Henry A Colorado, Narendranath Yerra, Daowei Ding, Thomas C. Ho, Neel Haldolaarachchige, David P. Young, Suying Wei, Jack Hopper, and Zhanhu Guo. Mesoporous Magnetic Carbon Nanocomposite Fabrics towards Highly Efficient Cr(VI) Removal. J. Mater. Chem. A 2, 2256-2265 (2014). [Link]
30. Zewei Quan, Zhiping Luo, Yuxuan Wang, Hongwu Xu, Chenyu Wang, Zhongwu Wang, Jiye Fang. Pressure-Induced Switching between Amorphization and Crystallization in PbTe Nanoparticles. Nano Lett. 13, 3729-3735 (2013). [Link]
29. Aiping Chen, Honghui Zhou, Zhenxing Bi, Yuanyuan Zhu, Zhiping Luo, Adrian Bayraktaroglu, Jamie Phillips, Eun-Mi Choi, Judith L. MacManus-Driscoll, Stephen J. Pennycook, Jagdish Narayan, Quanxi Jia, Xinghang Zhang and Haiyan Wang. A New Class of Room-Temperature Multiferroic Thin Films with Bismuth-Based Supercell Structure. Adv. Mater. 25 (7), 1028-1032 (2013). [Link]
28. Jiahua Zhu, Minjiao Chen, Honglin Qu, Zhiping Luo, Shijie Wu, Henry A. Colorado, Suying Wei and Zhanhu Guo. Magnetic Field Induced Enhancement in Capacitance of Graphene and Magnetic Graphene Nanocomposites. Energy Environ. Sci. 6 (1), 194-204 (2013). [Link]
27. Hongxing Zheng, Wu Wang, Sichuang Xue, Qijie Zhai, Jan Frenzel, Zhiping Luo. Composition-dependent crystal structure and martensitic transformation in Heusler Ni-Mn-Sn alloys. Acta Mater. 61 (12), 4648-4656 (2013). [Link]
26. Ji Ma, Hornbuckle, I. Karaman, G.B. Thompsonb, Z.P. Luo, Y.I. Chumlyakov. The effect of nanoprecipitates on the superelastic properties of FeNiCoAlTa shape memory alloy single crystals. Acta Mater. 61 (9), 3445-3455 (2013). [Link]
25. Dong Fang, Licheng Li, Weilin Xu*, Guangzhong Li, Gang Li, Nanfang Wang, Zhiping Luo*, Jie Xu, Li Liu, ChenLi Huang, Caowei Liang and Yongsheng Ji. Self-assembled hairy ball-like Co3O4 nanostructures for lithium ion batteries. J. Mater. Chem. A 1, 13203-13208 (2013). (* Corresponding author.) [Link]
24. Hongbo Gu, Sowjanya Rapole, Yu-Dong Huang, Dongmei Cao, Zhiping Luo, Suying Wei and Zhanhu Guo. Synergistic Interactions between Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Toxic Hexavalent Chromium. J. Mater. Chem. A 1 (6), 2011-2021 (2013). [Link]
23. Chien-Chon Chen, Dong Fang, and Zhiping Luo*. Fabrication and Characterization of Highly-Ordered Valve-Metal Oxide Nanotubes and Their Derivative Nanostructures. Rev. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 1 (4), 229-256 (2012). [Link]
22. Zhiping Luo, Yinggang Song, Shaoqing Zhang and Dean J. Miller. Interfacial Microstructure in a B4C/Al Composite Fabricated by Pressureless Infiltration. Metall. Mater. Trans. A 43 (1), 281-293 (2012). [Link]
21. M.T. Myers, S. Charnvanichborikarn, C.C. Wei, Z.P. Luo, A. Aitkaliyeva, L. Shao, S.O. Kucheyev. Defect microstructure in heavy-ion-bombarded (0 0 0 1) ZnO. Acta Mater. 60 (17), 6086-6090 (2012). [Link]
20. J. Ma, B. Kockar, A. Evirgen, I. Karaman, Z.P. Luo, Y.I. Chumlyakov. Shape memory behavior and tension-compression asymmetry of a FeNiCoAlTa single-crystalline shape memory alloy. Acta Mater. 60 (5), 2186-2195 (2012). [Link]
19. Jun Zhang, Zhiping Luo, Benjamin Martens, Zewei Quan, Amar Kumbhar, Nathan Porter, Yuxuan Wang, Detlef-M. Smilgies, and Jiye Fang. Reversible Kirkwood-Alder Transition Observed in Pt3Cu2 Nanoctahedron Assemblies under Controlled Solvent Annealing/Drying Conditions. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134 (34), 14043-14049 (2012). [Link]
18. Zewei Quan, Welley Siu Loc, Cuikun Lin, Zhiping Luo, Kaikun Yang, Yuxuan Wang, Howard Wang, Zhongwu Wang, and Jiye Fang. Tilted Face-Centered-Cubic Supercrystals of PbS Nanocubes. Nano Lett. 12 (8), 4409-4413 (2012). [Link]
17. Lin-Bing Sun, Jian-Rong Li, Weigang Lu, Zhi-Yuan Gu, Zhiping Luo, and Hong-Cai Zhou. Confinement of Metal-Organic Polyhedra in Silica Nanopores. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134 (38), 15923-15928 (2012). [Link]
16. Qingliang He, Tingting Yuan, Suying Wei, Neel Haldolaarachchige, Zhiping Luo, David P. Young, Airat Khasanov, Zhanhu Guo. Morphology and Phase Controlled Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Stabilized with Maleic Anhydride Grafted Polypropylene. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 51 (5), 8842-8845 (2012). [Link]
15. E. Dogan, I. Karaman, Y.I. Chumlyakov, Z.P. Luo. Microstructure and martensitic transformation characteristics of CoNiGa high temperature shape memory alloys. Acta Mater.59 (3), 1168-1183 (2011). [Link]
14. Jun Zhang*, Zhiping Luo*, Zewei Quan, Yuxuan Wang, Amar Kumbhar, Detlef-M. Smilgies, and Jiye Fang. Low Packing Density Self-Assembled Superstructure of Octahedral Pt3Ni Nanocrystals. Nano Lett. 11 (7), 2912-2918 (2011). (*Co-first author) [Link]
13. Zewei Quan, Zhiping Luo, Welley Siu Loc, Jun Zhang, Yuxuan Wang, Kaikun Yang, Nathan Porter, Jun Lin, Howard Wang, and Jiye Fang. Synthesis of PbSeTe Single Ternary Alloy and Core-Shell Heterostructured Nanocubes. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 133 (44), 17590-17593 (2011). [Link]
12. Zhiping Luo, Yolanda Vasquez, James F. Bondi, and Raymond E. Schaak. Pawley and Rietveld refinements using electron diffraction from L12-type intermetallic Au3Fe1-x nanocrystals during their in-situ order-disorder transition. Ultramicroscopy 111 (8), 1295-1304 (2011). [Link]
11. Zhaoyong Sun, Zhiping Luo*, Jiye Fang*. Assembling Nonspherical 2D Binary Nanoparticle Superlattices by Opposite Electrical Charges: The Role of Coulomb Forces. ACS Nano 4 (4), 1821-1828 (2010). (*Corresponding author) [Link]
10. Z.P. Luo. Statistical quantification of the microstructural homogeneity of size and orientation distributions. J. Mater. Sci. 45 (12), 3228-3241 (2010). [Link]
9. Jun Zhang, Hongzhou Yang, Kaikun Yang, Jiye Fang, Shouzhong Zou, Zhiping Luo, Howard Wang, In-Tae Bae and Dae Young Jung. Monodisperse Pt3Fe Nanocubes: Synthesis, Characterization, Electrocatalytic Activity and Self-Assembly. Adv. Funct. Mater. 20 (21), 3727-3733 (2010). [Link]
8. Yolanda Vasquez, Zhiping Luo, and Raymond E. Schaak. Low-Temperature Solution Synthesis of the Non-Equilibrium Ordered Intermetallic Compounds Au3Fe, Au3Co, and Au3Ni as Nanocrystals. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 130 (36), 11866-11867 (2008). [Link]
7. Z.P. Luo, J.H. Koo. Quantifying the Dispersion of Mixture Microstructures. J. Microsc. 225 (2), 118-125 (2007). [Link]
6. Guney Guven Yapici, Ibrahim Karaman, Zhi-Ping Luo. Mechanical twinning and texture evolution in severely deformed Ti-6Al-4V at high temperatures. Acta Mater. 54 (14), 3755-3771 (2006). [Link]
5. Z.P. Luo. Crystallography of SiC/MgAl2O4/Al interfaces in a pre-oxidized SiC reinforced SiC/Al composite - Dedicated to Professor H. Hashimoto on the occasion of his 80th birthday. Acta Mater. 54 (1), 47-58 (2006). [Link]
4. Z.P. Luo, D.J. Miller, and J.F. Mitchell. Electron microscopic evidence of charge-ordered bi-strip structures in the bilayered colossal magnetoresistive manganite La2-2xSr1+2xMn2O7. Phys. Rev. B71 (1), 014418 (7 pp) (2005). [Link]
3. Z. P. Luo, Y. L. Tang, and D. J. Miller. Comment on "Quasicrystal-Crystal Transformation in Zn-Mg-Rare-Earth Alloys". Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 3730 (2000). [Link]
2. Z.P. Luo, S.Q. Zhang. High-resolution electron microscopy on the X-Mg12ZnY phase in a high-strength Mg-Zn-Zr-Y magnesium alloy. J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 19 (9), 813-85 (2000). [Link]
1. LUO Zhiping, ZHANG Shaoqing, TANG Yali and ZHAO Dongshan. Quasicrystals in as-cast Mg-Zn-RE alloys. Scripta Metall. Mater. 28 (12), 1513-1518 (1993). [Link]
This is my first paper from my Ph.D. thesis, which reports the discovery of quasicrystals in Mg-Zn-RE (rare earth) alloys in 1993.
Acknowledgement to Facilities
Any publication or presentation involving microscopy work conducted at ANL should include acknowledgment statement of "The TEM work was performed at the Center for Nanoscale Materials, a U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science User Facility, and supported by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, under Contract No. DE-AC02-06CH11357". https://www.anl.gov/cnm/cnm-acknowledgment-statements-for-publications
Any publication or presentation involving the research data collected using Microprobe, SEM or sample preparation facility should include acknowledgment statement of "The electron microscopy facility at FSU was funded by the U.S. Army Research Office, Department of Defense, under Contract No. W911NF-09-1-0011".
Any publication or presentation involving the research data collected using AFM, Bipotentiostat, EMS Sputter Coater, Keithley 6517B Electrometer, Ocean Optics Spectrometer, Shimadzu Instruments or XRD, should include acknowledgment statement of "The instrument used was funded by the U.S. Army Research Office, Department of Defense, under Contract No. W911NF-14-1-0060".
Any publication or presentation involving the research data collected using the new EDS should include acknowledgment statement of "The instrument used was funded by the U.S. Army Research Office, Department of Defense, under Contract No. W911NF-15-1-0566".
Any publication or presentation involving data collected using the cathodoluminescence systems should include acknowledgment statement of "The cathodoluminescence facility at FSU was funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) MRI Program DMR 1626376".
Acknowledgement to Research Grants
Any publication or presentation involving IC-PREM project (2018-2021) should include acknowledgment statement of "This work was supported by National Science Foundation, award No. DMR 1827731".
Any publication or presentation involving ARO project (2018-2021) should include acknowledgment statement of "This work was supported by by the U.S. Army Research Office, Department of Defense, under Contract No.W911NF1810469".
Any publication or presentation involving IMREL (Interdisciplinary Materials Research and Education Laboratory) project (2014-2018) should include acknowledgment statement of "This work was supported by National Science Foundation, award No. HRD 1436120".
Any publication or presentation involving the research supported by FSU should include acknowledgment statement of "This research was supported by Fayetteville State University".
Any publication or presentation involving the research conducted by student of the Fayetteville State University Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (FSU-RISE) program should include statement of "The Fayetteville State University Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (FSU-RISE) is a project federally-funded by the National Institute of Health".
October 5, 2022 - Our paper was published in Adv. Opt. Mater. 10, 2201374 (2022). It is highlighted on the back cover.
May 17, 2021 - Dr. Menuka Adhikari joined our group as a Postdoctoral Research Associate. Welcome!
May 3, 2021 - Dr. Navadeep Shrivastava joined our group as a Postdoctoral Research Associate. Welcome!
March 23, 2021- Our paper on OER is published in ACS Catal. 2021, 11, 4327-4337. https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.1c00465
October 7, 2020 - Our book entitled "Fundamentals of Perovskite Oxides: Synthesis, Structure, Properties and Applications" is published by CRC press.
March 21, 2019 - Candyce Collins was selected to attend the NIST SURF Gaithersburg program in MML/NCNR Materials Science from May 28, 2019 to August 9, 2019.
August 5, 2018 - Our group attended Microscopy & Microanalysis 2018 Conference, August 5-10, 2018, Baltimore, Maryland.
May 22, 2018 - Our group conducted research in radiation detection at Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) on May 21-22, 2018.
April 11, 2018 - Our research group was recognized for Excellence in Mentoring at the "Taking the Pentagon to the People" Conference, hosted by the U.S. Department of Defense, April 11-12, 2018, Fayetteville State University.
April 10, 2018 - Zariana Mobley received the "Student of the Year" award of the Department of Chemistry and Physics.
April 4, 2018 - Zariana Mobley and Jesus Riveracorrea were accepted for summer intern research at DoD Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C.
March 21, 2018 - Tajah Trapier, a high-school student working at our group, was admitted to NC State University.
March 20, 2018 - Carlin Ashford and Aleeyah Johniken were accepted for NSF-supported REU 2018 summer research from 05/27/2018 to 07/27/2018 at Tuskegee University. Congratulations!
May 26, 2017 - Zariana Mobley (undergraduate) was accepted for DoD Summer Internship Program from 05/30/2017 to 08/06/2017 at Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C. Congratulations to her!
May 26, 2017 - Three undergraduates (Chibu Umerah, Daniel Loeven, Lenore Miller) were accepted for NSF-funded REU summer research at Tuskegee University. Congratulations to them!
May 23, 2017 - Undergraduate Carlin Ashford was accepted for NSF-funded REU summer research from 05/23/2017 to 08/01/2017 at University of Houston. Congratulations to him!
May 13, 2017 - Two undergraduates (Shardai Johnson and Chibu Umerah) graduated from FSU. They received BS in Chemistry with minor in Materials Science. They were accepted for NSF IGERT Fellowship graduate program at Tuskegee University. Congratulations to them!
March 20, 2017 - Dr. Gibin George joined our group as a Postdoctoral Fellow. Welcome!
February 17, 2017 - The Fayetteville State University Student Chapter of the Materials Research Society has been awarded with a Special Projects Grant in $999.34 from the Materials Research Society Foundation. This grant will support research activities by the Materials Science students. This project is led by the President of the Student Chapter, Chibu Umerah, undergraduate at FSU with major in Chemistry and minor in Materials Science.
January 25, 2017 - An undergraduate Laura Lovell was selected to participate in the Department of Energy's (DOE) Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) program at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) for the Summer 2017 Term.She will conduct a research project on Nanostructured Catalysts.
December 2, 2016 - An undergraduate Chibu Umerah received a travel award for the 2017 Emerging Researchers National (ERN) Conference in STEM.
August 9, 2016 - Materials Science Program was recognized as BroncoBest with 100% Student Service Satisfaction for the 2015-2016 Academic Year.
April 26, 2016 - Christina Young was accepted to Tuskegee University for Master of Science Degree in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. Congratulations to Christina!
March 8, 2016 - John Moch was accepted to participate the prestigious Blue Waters Student Internship Program, with a stipend of $5,000. Congratulations to John!
Fall, 2015 - Niyoyankunze Noel graduated from this group and entered a Master Degree Program at Norfolk State University. Congratulations to Noel!
April 10, 2015 - A paper co-authored by Shardai, Noel, Juliely and Zhiping was accepted for publication in Rev. Nanosci. Nanotechnol.
April 2, 2015 - Zhiping received Teacher of the Year Award of Department of Chemistry and Physics, based on teaching evaluations.
February 3, 2015 - Shardai was accepted for 2015 Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) position at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), with a stipend of $5,000. Congratulations to Shardai!
December 11, 2014 - Zhiping was recognized at the FSU Board of Trustees Meeting.
April 14, 2014 - Zhiping received Researcher of the Year Award of Department of Chemistry and Physics, based on research activities.
March 19, 2014 - Niyogushima Juliely was accepted to Materials Science and Engineering Ph.D. Program at University of Nebraska - Lincoln. Congratulations to Juliely!
August 1, 2012 - Zhiping joined FSU.
American Chemical Society (ACS).
American Physical Society (APS).
ASM International (American Society for Metals).
Materials Research Society (MRS).
Microbeam Society of America (MAS).
Universities & National Labs
AIF at NC State University.
CHANL at UNC Chapel Hill.
Center for Nanoscale Materials at Argonne National Laboratory.
The Advanced Photon Source at Argonne National Laboratory.
UMN Electron Microprobe Laboratory at University of Minnesota.
BURAI (a free GUI system of Quantum ESPRESSO for DFT calculations).
ImageJ (free image processing software).
MyScope (online microscopy training developed by Microscopy Australia, including SEM, TEM, XRD, AFM, LM, EDS, APT, and FIB).
ProcessDiffraction (software for processing electron diffraction patterns).
VESTA (a free program for drawing crystal structures).