Q: Do I need to win in a qualifying contest to be eligible to compete in the state final?
A: Yes. We will verify your name against the lists of winners provided to us from the qualifying contest sites before finalizing your registration.

Q: Should I come here to compete in the state final?
A: It depends on where your school is. Student from schools in the following counties should compete in the Eastern Region at Fayetteville State University: Beaufort, Bertie, Bladen, Brunswick, Camden, Carteret, Chowan, Columbus, Craven, Currituck, Dare, Duplin, Edgecombe, Franklin, Gates, Granville, Greene, Halifax, Harnett, Hertford, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Nash, New Hanover, Northampton, Onslow, Pamlico, Pasquotank, Pender, Perquimans, Pitt, Sampson, Tyrell, Vance, Wake, Warren, Washington, Wayne, and Wilson. Note that students from schools in Wake County should compete in the Central Region at UNC Greenboro.

Q: I have won in a qualifying contest, do I have to register for the state final?
A: Yes. Your registration lets us know how many and who will be coming. We need this information to prepare for the contest. We will also use your registration to verify your eligiblity.

Q: When do I have to register?
A: Registration usually opens as soon as the first qualifying contest is completed. It will remain open until the Monday before the state final.

Q: I missed the registration deadline, can I register on site?
A: Unfortunately, we are not able to accept on-site registration.

Q: Will I get a confirmation of my registration?
A: If your registration is complete (meaning that you finished the online registration AND sent in the photo release form), you will receive a confirmation email by the following Wednesday. This email will be sent to the email address provided on the registration form. If you do not receive this email, please contact Dr. Chan to verify your registration status.

Q: We do not have access to a fax machine, is there other way to submit the photo release form?
A: If you have access to a scanner, you can scan the signed photo release form and then email to Dr. Chan. If you do not have any other way to submit the form, please contact Dr. Chan for assistance.

Q: I made a mistake in the registration, what should I do?
A: Please send an email to Dr. Chan to have your information updated. Do not go to the registration page and re-register - doing so will confuse the system and cause other unpredictable errors to your registration.

Q: I do not see my school listed in the dropdown list, what should I do?
A: The list of schools is based on the participating schools from last year's contest. If you do not see your school listed, please have your teacher send an email to Dr. Chan with your school information (name, address, school phone number, and school system) to have your school added. Once your school is added to the system, you can then continue the registration process. Important: Do not call or email your qualifying site since they have nothing to do with the registration system.  

Q: What do I have to bring for the contest?
A: You need to bring a photo ID (school-issued ID is acceptable), HB or No.2 pencils, and erasers.

Q: Can I use a calculator during the contest?
A: No. Calculators are NOT allowed during the contest.

Q: Do I have to bring scratch paper?
A: No. You CANNOT use your own scratch paper. Scratch paper will be provided.

Q: Our school does not issue student IDs, what should I do?
A: Any school or government issued photo ID will be acceptable. If you do not have any suitable ID, then you have several options. You can get an ID card from the DMV (for a fee); it usually takes several weeks for the ID to arrive in the mail. If you do not want to get an ID card from the DMV, or if it is too late to do so, you can have your teacher take a photo of you and email it to Dr. Chan for verification. If your teacher is also coming to the contest, you can also have the teacher to confirm your identification (the teacher must have their own school ID). Parents and friends cannot confirm students' identification.

Q: We are driving to the contest, do we have to pay for parking?
A: In general, no. We will send out a temporary parking permit on the Tuesday before the contest date. Just print it out and place it on your dashboard. Make sure you park in the location specified on the permit.

Q: Do you provide lunch?
A: Lunch will be provided to students by the University. Students will dine in the Student Center. Teachers and parents can also dine in the Student Center for a fee.

Q: I would like to see how I am doing in the contest, can you send me this information?
A: We are not able to send contest results to students or parents. However, teachers can request to receive report cards for the students in their school. You can ask your teacher to send an email to Dr. Chan to request this information.

Q: I have some other questions not answered by this FAQ, who should I ask?
A: You can send an email to Dr. Chan, who overseas the registration process. His email is achan@uncfsu.edu .