An academic minor can be a great choice if you have already chosen your major from another department, but you wish to add the value to your education and increase opportunities for the more rewarding career.
Choose Mathematics Minor, if you want to add Mathematical Modeling to your skills for solving problems in your major area.
Why Choose Mathematics?
Utilize the experience of mathematics faculty to gain the necessary knowledge in mathematics to craft specific solutions for global problems. Our faculty use powerful tools of optimization and control theory to attack problems arising in modern science and technology. They use mathematical modeling in the flight against HIV by identifying parameters specific to individuals in order to maximize treatment effectiveness.
The Mathematics program is highly flexible, it is the basis for all natural science subjects and those in the business world. Applied math isn't really a single subject. Depending on how you're going to apply it, you'll get different values. A degree in mathematics will prepare you for jobs in statistics, actuarial sciences, operation analysis, mathematical modeling, and mathematics education, as well as for graduate school.
What Will You Learn?
- Acquire knowledge of selected topics from calculus, linear algebra, geometry, number theory, probability theory, and statistics.
- Understand the mathematical basis of common algorithms, and the ability to calculate accurately and efficiently.
- Communicate mathematical ideas clearly with correct mathematical terminology and proper mathematical notation.
- Solve Math problems using a series of mathematics methods, including numerical analysis, linear algebra, real analysis, and statistics.
- Apply critical thinking and communication skills to address applied problems in practical situations.
For more information, please visit the Mathematics (Minor) Program Catalog.
What Will You Do?
Obtaining a minor degree in Mathematics can greatly enhance your analytical skills. You can choose your career not only in your major, but also in the following list.
- Actuarial Math: the application of probability and statistics, to the insurance industry.
- Biomathematics: the application of mathematics in the health sciences.
- Biostatistics and Epidemiology: the application of statistics in the health sciences.
- Cryptography: mathematical algorithms involved in network security.
- Financial Mathematics: Mathematics used for mortgage banking, and stock market analysis.
- Operations Research: the application of mathematics to problems of optimization.
- Statistics Applications: collecting, classifying, analyzing and making inferences from data.
- Teaching Mathematics: K-12 schools.