Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle Grades, Reading, and Special Education
You will leave with much more than a diploma. With a degree in education, you will not only gain the essential skills to think critically, speak and write effectively, make informed decisions, but also demonstrate competencies that impact children you teach.
What You Get At FSU!
Our core curriculum will expose you to a broad-based education rich in the liberal arts and courses in the major will prepare you to be dynamic, knowledgeable, caring, and reflective teachers and leaders.
Choose from Programs of Study
The Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle Grades, Reading and Special Education offers three degrees at the baccalaureate, and two degrees at the master's level with various concentrations. These programs lead to a North Carolina initial or advanced license. In addition, the Department offers four North Carolina initial licensure only programs for candidates who already hold a bachelor's degree.
- BS in Birth-to Kindergarten Education (Teaching & Non-Teaching)
- BS in Elementary Education (K-6)
- Middle Grades (6-9)
- M.A.T. ( Elementary, Middle Grades, and, Birth through Kindergarten)
- M.Ed. ( Elementary, Reading, and Middle Grades)
- Licensure Only ( B-K, K-6, Middle Grades, Reading, and Special Education)
To learn more about our programs and courses of study, visit the Course Catalog
How we help you succeed!
Our students represent a wide range of backgrounds and experiences. You will have the opportunity to engage and collaborate with a community of students that fosters success. Our department prides itself on our knowledgeable and caring professors who support student learning and mentor you throughout your academic journey.
Our small class sizes enable you to receive one-on-one support. To accommodate our non-traditional students, many of the courses are offered on-line and posses the same rigor and support as our on-campus courses. You will have one-on-one advising with a professional advisor, to ensure you are meeting the degree requirements.FSU graduates are proof of how far you can go. Many of our graduates from our department have been recognized as Teachers of the Year and several have pursued advanced degrees on the master and doctorate levels. We have graduates all over the country who are making a difference in the lives of children.You have the opportunity to get involved in several organizations such as the Future Educators Club, Elementary Education Majors Club, and Birth-to-Kindergarten Majors Club. Our Honor Societies include Pi Lambda Theta and Alpha Upsilon Alpha.
Building Blocks Of An Education That Will Make You Proud:
- State and Nationally Accredited Programs
- Professional development opportunities for all
- A variety of real-world experiences through field work
- Outstanding faculty recognized nationally for excellence in teaching and research
- Individualized attention through small class sizes
- Professors who take a genuine interest in your progress